Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build Your own 2011 or Buy from Dawson

Blue Jacket

I currently have a single stack 9mm Colt with a nice Nowlin Unramped barrel and Bomar sights, Could I use the slide and barrel and have it fitted to an STI 2011 frame? Would this be a decent way to go and save a little cash, or just suck it up and order a complete STI from Dawson? If building is a decent option any recommendations on who might be a good idea to send it to for the work?

Just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to go. I noticed Dawson's is having a special on their Super Tuned Eagles.

I currently have a single stack 9mm Colt with a nice Nowlin Unramped barrel and Bomar sights, Could I use the slide and barrel and have it fitted to an STI 2011 frame? Would this be a decent way to go and save a little cash, or just suck it up and order a complete STI from Dawson? If building is a decent option any recommendations on who might be a good idea to send it to for the work?

Just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to go. I noticed Dawson's is having a special on their Super Tuned Eagles.

Dawson is only one of a handful of good builders. For a full custom, get in touch with Matt Cheely at CCGunworks. He will do wonders with your parts.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=241

What is your goal? If you want an Open gun, the unramped barrel will not work. If you want a Limited gun, you will be shooting 9mm minor against 40 cal major. Or do you just want a 9mm double stack gun for plinking or whatever?

Before I'd cannibalized a nice Colt, consider just selling it and using the proceeds to buy the Dawson. It might actually save you a few bucks and the results might be superior to trying to build a parts gun.

Just my thoughts.

Bill

If you are on a real tight budget, buy a used one that was built from a known gunsmith.

Or if the budget is real tight, buy a used one and be prepared to have some work done.

Just because you have a Brownells catalog does not mean you are a gunsmith.

Keep an eye out on the classifieds and boards. I once picked up an older gunsmith built 2011 with a bull barrel for $750. It needed sights, to be refinished and scope mount holes filled in. Turned out to be a really sweet gun. I wish I could find more train wrecks.

If you have one built, you will have a trophy piece that you can shoot. I usually build my own but I'll be shooting an FGW gun next year. There's nothing quite like a new gun to motivate me to practice.

Thanks actually I was thinking I would use it for 3 gun hence the 9mm. But now that I am thinking about it I would probably be better off with a 40 just in case I want to start shooting USPSA. I am set up to to reload both 9 and 40 so that isn't an issue. Just found I wasn't shooting SS to often so I thought about hijacking the slide and barrel. I think your right I would probably be better off selling to Colt and using the proceeds to purchase a 40 Eagle. Thanks