Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 on a 9mm shell plate?

A bit ago, I lucked into a used 550 with several conversion kits, tool heads and dies. These included 308, 30-06, 45 ACP, 9mm and 223. After inventorying a second time, it appears that the previous owner was using the 9mm shell plate for the 223. Will this work, or should I order a #3 shell plate to go along with the 3 #5 shell plates that I already have? I have the locator buttons and powder funnel for the 223.

Thanks,

The 9mm shellplate is a little more generous in the dimension and will hold the .223 but a little on the loose side. 9mm brass wont fit into my .223 shell plate. Depending on the brass on my 650 I am certain I would have a certain amount of failure rate while priming were I to use a 9mm shellplate (especially with Nato brass, as I have found they need more muscle to prime than commercial). I would also be concerned with getting a shell stuck inside the sizing die as well if a case slipped out of the shellplate at station one. Personally I would get the right tool for the job and save some possible agravation.

Ok, so I'll just have to get the #3 shell plate. Some how, I ended up with 3 #5 plates and everything else to load 223, but not the shell plate.

The fun of getting boxes of Misc. Dillon parts used. I may also try to set up a tool head to load 221 Fireball while I am at it, since I have everything for it also.

Thanks for the replies.

if you have a .380acp conversion kit, i believe that uses the same plate as .223. or you can just get the .223 kit. if you have a .223 and a 9mm kit, you can make a .380 kit by using the .223 shellplate and the 9mm powder funnel. that's only if you ever intend to reload that. there is a matrix somewhere that shows you the matches between the kits. it's really helpful. i wish i would have found that earlier.

if you have a .380acp conversion kit, i believe that uses the same plate as .223. or you can just get the .223 kit. if you have a .223 and a 9mm kit, you can make a .380 kit by using the .223 shellplate and the 9mm powder funnel. that's only if you ever intend to reload that. there is a matrix somewhere that shows you the matches between the kits. it's really helpful. i wish i would have found that earlier.

Here's one in my site for common calibers on a 550.

And here's the motherload for all presses.

be