Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bipod use in Open Division

Jesse Tischauser

Rather than hunting down all 20 variations of the 3 gun rules I figured it would be quicker to ask.

What is the rule on removing bipods stage-to-stage? I am assuming you can take it off when not needed and put it on when you do

Also can the bipod be open at the buzzer or do the legs need to be folded up or does it matter?

I looked in the latest Multi-gun rules and the rifle rules. This is what it says this about bipods:

5.1.10.1 Chokes, slings, bi-pods, monopods, ammo/mag holders, and

flashlights may be added or removed at any time during the

match, providing that they are allowed in the competitor’s division.

I could not find any reference to this in the Muli-gun rules.

As far as whether or not you can have the bipod deployed, I could not find any reference to this in the Multi-gun addendum to the rules. If you look at the USPSA Rifle rules, it says:

8.2.6 Bi-pods must be folded; slings must be in the carry condition (not

looped around elbows, etc.) at the start of every string or stage unless

otherwise specified in the stage description

Z

Edited by Zebraman

Can't think of a match that does not allow the bipod to be mounted or unmounted each stage as needed. As a matter of fact you can start with the bipod and remove it midstage if you want, (larue mount with a split ring works wonders).

As for the legs IME it varies match to match and even RO to RO. As of late more and more are allowing it.

IPSC allows you to start with bipods extended, unless other specified... Is there a reason USPSA chose to not allow this?

I was curious enough to look up rules for one non-USPSA match (SMM3G):

Explicitly permitted acts include installing or removing support devices(e.g. bipods), slings and other minor accessories (e.g. scope covers).

5.2.2.1 Supporting devices (e.g. bipods) are permitted, and may begin any stage folded or deployed at the participant’s discretion.

Edited by gose

Jesse just tie a piece of paracord between the legs that is ling enough for the legs to fully extend. When the buzzer goes off grab the cord and pull. Legs are now deployed. Another little trick is to turn the legs around so the controllable are facing the shooter and not the other way around so you can't see what you are doing.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I am not complaining because I shoot open, but I have wondered why its ok to remove and re install a bi pod but its not ok to switch optics or say add and remove a 3x magnifier depending on the stage. It seems it would be more consistent if your rifle had to have everything attached to it throughout the match.

Pat

I am not complaining because I shoot open, but I have wondered why its ok to remove and re install a bi pod but its not ok to switch optics or say add and remove a 3x magnifier depending on the stage. It seems it would be more consistent if your rifle had to have everything attached to it throughout the match.

Pat

Open should mean Open to do what you want other than bring 8 guns to choose from IMHO.

Pat

Open should mean Open to do what you want other than bring 8 guns to choose from IMHO.

that would be trooper :P