Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stage Press?

You can get 500 free bullets with the Hornady Kit right now. Thats was the first press I ever owned and it was a beast! My only complaint with the kit is that it comes with an electronic scale that can be pretty finnicky. I swapped mine out for an Ohaus I found on ebay for a steal. You can get the quick bushings that make dies changeouts fast too

The RCBS kit vs a Dillon 550 is about a $200 difference, and you get considerably more rounds per hour with a 550 vs a single stage press. Granted the 550 will be a little more expensive to start loading different calibers, but overall a progressive press is WELL worth the extra cost IMO.

You need to really evaluate what calibers you intend on loading, and how many rounds per month/year you are looking to load. VERY often people say 'man I wish I would have just bought a progressive press instead of a single stage", and not very often the opposite.

If you really insist on going with a single stage, I've been a big fan of RCBS stuff. Compared to Lee and Lyman presses and powder measures, it just seems like RCBS is the Dillon of single stages - slightly more expensive, but very well built, with great customer support. My dad and I started on a RCBS Rock Chucker, and I bought one when I first started reloading on my own as well. It now sits on the edge of my bench next to two Dillons :-)

A single stage with the quick change bushings is very nice to have, wether or not you have a dillon. I think its great to start on a single stage.

Also if money is a factor at all I would suggest take a look at the lee breech lock challenger kit, it's a good little press, I've had mine for many years now. You might want to get a couple different accessories like a digital scale, tumbler etc...