Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Tire Selection help for a 2002 Tahoe

Soon I'll need to replace the tires on my 2002 Chevy Tahoe 2 WD. The best set of tires I ever had on the truck were the original Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. Currently it's wearing the Dueler AT Revo 2's, and at 31,000 miles on the tires I'm down to 4/32 of tread depth.....

I'll need something different for the next set. I'm expecting at least 40K miles -- and I replaced the original Revos at about that mileage with about 4/32 left.

I don't drive off road. I do drive in all kinds of weather in the Northeast, and regularly drive on roads where the traffic flows at 85 mph. Quiet matters. Excellent on road performance matters. A speed rating that covers 100 mph (roughly where the governor kicks in) matters.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with tires similar to that, that you liked?

My wife's Expedition wears Michelin X Radial LTs. They are a hiway rib design, very quiet, smooth, handle standing water very well, (don't have a clue as to how they do in the snow, we don't get much snow on the Alabama Gulf Coast) handle well (normal driving), not sure of speed rating on light truck tires, they didn't rate them for speed when I was in the tire business 25 years ago, but have made several trips where I was running 95mph for hours at the time and never had any tire problems, even in our summer months. We don't have many miles on this set/vehicle yet, but the Michelin LTX-ATs on my truck have 69k on them with 6/32 tread remaining. The AT tread design is a little noiser than the X radials. I have put 60k on other sets of Michelins and then sold them for roughly half of what a new set costs. Michelin makes a good tire.

With all of that said, we pulled the original Continentals off of her expedition at 73k. They were still around 5/32. Those tires were hard as a rock. The Michelins ride and handle water better than the Continentals ever did.

Hurley

I've had a set of BFG Long Trail TAs on a Suburban and they were vey good in the snow and ice. They are T speed rated in most sizes with a 60K mile warranty. At 40K they were about half used on the Suburban. It is a pretty decent choice.

Continentals are hard, and very poor on ice.

Thrad drift...HRider, speed ratings have been on tires for a LONG time. The ratings became mandated in the late 1970s. They were taken out of the size numerical string in 1991 in deference to a more complex system, but the tires you sold 25 years ago were defiantely speed rated.

I had a set of Goodyear Triple Treads on an '02 Monte Carlo that I got 105K out of. The store that sold them to me also sold me a 2nd set. They told me that they thought I could go one more rotation, but winter was coming on and I was making a trip to Wyoming so I went ahead and called them good right there. They have a SUV/Truck version of this same tire. I'll also 2nd the BFGs, they are just hard to beat for an all around SUV tire.

I'm short on driving expierence next year will be my 50th year, owned lots of Suburbans before anyone thought they were cool. My best set of tires were Michlins XLE on a 1 ton van I pulled a stock car with, they had over 100,00 miles on them when I sold the truck. My pickups I ran the BFG LongTrail TA's, they sucked kept slipping belts, went thru 9 of them, put on a set of Brigstones Duelers, happy driving, they have about 60K on them, still looking good!

When I was a kid my daddy told me all the time I could tear up a crow bar. Well he was a smart man I've broke a couple. Hard driving comes with a price, in tires, brakes and other part failures.

Bottom line the Dueler is an excellent tire and if you are not getting the milage you want out of it there is a reason.

My SIL just put a big set of Tires on his new Hybrid Tahoe, against good adivce, now he is whinning about the loss of 6 mpg, go figure. Next he be throwing a cow catcher, bugscreen, and big mirrors and lose another 3-4 mpg and whine about that.

For sure I will never own a Firestone Tire, I don't know anything about treadwear on them, I had them on a new 75 Silverado, pulling a stock car on a trailer, I average about 70 miles between blow outs. Their service was good they just put another new one on and 70 miles later another. After a friend of mine flipped the truck and the RaceCar and trailer wound up on top of the truck I got a new set of Michlins on a Van.Don't let you girlfrind drive when your sleeping.

Edited by CocoBolo

I've had a set of BFG Long Trail TAs on a Suburban and they were vey good in the snow and ice. They are T speed rated in most sizes with a 60K mile warranty. At 40K they were about half used on the Suburban. It is a pretty decent choice.

Continentals are hard, and very poor on ice.

Thrad drift...HRider, speed ratings have been on tires for a LONG time. The ratings became mandated in the late 1970s. They were taken out of the size numerical string in 1991 in deference to a more complex system, but the tires you sold 25 years ago were defiantely speed rated.

What I meant was that the Light Truck tires we sold 25 years ago did not have "S", "T", "H", or "Z" ratings on the side or in the size description. I believe Light Truck tires were all rated at 85mph back then. We certainly sold speed rated Passenger tires.

Hurley

I've got Continental ContiTrac TR's on my truck. Handles great rides great and does very well in rain, ice and snow. I've got 78k on them now and about 15k left in them. I'll likely get another set since they do so well, I get pretty good highway mileage which I bet has to do with the harder tire. My F-150 had the same tires and I got rid of it at 97k with those tires still on it and it did great in the Canadian Winters/Rocky Mountains :)

Michelin LTX MS's ................ you will glad you did

+1 Maybe even the Michelin Cross Terrain. Worked at a Ford Dealership during the Firestone recall. These tires were the best one's that Ford replaced FS with. Quiet, and long lasting. Good winter weather tire also.