Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loads for XDM Competition 5.5

GlockOp

Yeah Mike, it's shorter than some but I am a long time accuracy guy with a history in Bullseye and feel that when loading to Minor PF it's all about the accuracy and feel. Sure, if you're shooting an 8" plate at 7-10 yds it probably doesn't matter but that popper, 6" plate, or A-zone at 25yds is a differant story. If you take a target and mark some dots on it that you think represent your "wobble zone" when breaking a shot at a given distance, then take a protractor or circle template and draw a circle the size of your loads group at that range around each dot it will illustrate how small consistant groups can improve your score.

If I miss a shot, I want to know it was me, not the gun or the load. But hey that's just me and I like experimenting with loads,LOL.

Here's an example of how much load length can vary by bullet. In my Glock (factory G34 barrel) the OAL that touches the rifling is: Hornady 125 HAP=1.140", 124 Precision-Delta=1.200", Remington 124 JHP=1.195". As you can see the PD and Rem would be fine out to max for feeding (.150") but the Hornady at that length would be jammed into the rifling. Most accurate in my Glock? HAP 125 @ 1.130"

Enjoy the new XD-I love the new 5.25 but I'm in So-Cal :angry2:

Don

Much good info here, you should post this for all new or even experienced loaders to read. Most of the time we just experiment enough to get the gun to go bang, and that is why gun manufacturers have so many problems with reloads and warranty.

Sorry you guys do not get the 5.25!

Rob

Hi Rob: Well your right. I am not sure I have the "Perfect Load", but it's sure good enough for my level of shooting. The new 5.25 is outstanding. I have 2 of them, both done by Scott Springer. No problems, Super trigger and just a real joy to shoot with. Thanks for the good work on this gun. Not sure how to post this for newer shooters but maybe I can figure it out :-) BE's board is the best place to learn. All very positive and little if any flamers around.

Edited by GlockOp

Yeah Mike, it's shorter than some but I am a long time accuracy guy with a history in Bullseye and feel that when loading to Minor PF it's all about the accuracy and feel. Sure, if you're shooting an 8" plate at 7-10 yds it probably doesn't matter but that popper, 6" plate, or A-zone at 25yds is a differant story. If you take a target and mark some dots on it that you think represent your "wobble zone" when breaking a shot at a given distance, then take a protractor or circle template and draw a circle the size of your loads group at that range around each dot it will illustrate how small consistant groups can improve your score.

If I miss a shot, I want to know it was me, not the gun or the load. But hey that's just me and I like experimenting with loads,LOL.

Here's an example of how much load length can vary by bullet. In my Glock (factory G34 barrel) the OAL that touches the rifling is: Hornady 125 HAP=1.140", 124 Precision-Delta=1.200", Remington 124 JHP=1.195". As you can see the PD and Rem would be fine out to max for feeding (.150") but the Hornady at that length would be jammed into the rifling. Most accurate in my Glock? HAP 125 @ 1.130"

Enjoy the new XD-I love the new 5.25 but I'm in So-Cal :angry2:

Don

Much good info here, you should post this for all new or even experienced loaders to read. Most of the time we just experiment enough to get the gun to go bang, and that is why gun manufacturers have so many problems with reloads and warranty.

Sorry you guys do not get the 5.25!

Rob

Thanks Rob,

Yeah bummer we don't get the 5.25, but my 9 Tactical with Dawson sights, and PRP Ultimate Match Trigger kit does put a smile on my face! very tight groups with Zero 125's @ 1.125" over some AA#2 @ PF 130-131

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am enjoying the info here on all of the postings. I ended up at 124gr MG CMJ loaded with 3.8 grains of Titegroup and OAL of 1.140. I tested from 1.120 to 1.150 from some sand bags on a bench. I have a friend who was doing similar tests last night with an identical XDm 5.25 in 9mm with hollow points. He managed to jam one in that would not fire at 1.150. So the limit is certainly in the 1.150 area. In some of the opinions I have read, the closer to the rifling the better :-) In any case, I could not be happier with the XDm and find it to be the best pistol I have had for competition so far.

Are you using a lighter recoil spring or the factory 18lb spring? I am looking at shooting 4.0 grains of titegroup with a 124gr JHP but not sure if I need to swap the spring before I give it a try. Thanks!

I am enjoying the info here on all of the postings. I ended up at 124gr MG CMJ loaded with 3.8 grains of Titegroup and OAL of 1.140. I tested from 1.120 to 1.150 from some sand bags on a bench. I have a friend who was doing similar tests last night with an identical XDm 5.25 in 9mm with hollow points. He managed to jam one in that would not fire at 1.150. So the limit is certainly in the 1.150 area. In some of the opinions I have read, the closer to the rifling the better :-) In any case, I could not be happier with the XDm and find it to be the best pistol I have had for competition so far.

Are you using a lighter recoil spring or the factory 18lb spring? I am looking at shooting 4.0 grains of titegroup with a 124gr JHP but not sure if I need to swap the spring before I give it a try. Thanks!

I am using a 16# spring. went to 14# and had a few problems, went back to 16# and it is fine. I still have the original 18# spring, just in case :-)

I am using a 16# spring. went to 14# and had a few problems, went back to 16# and it is fine. I still have the original 18# spring, just in case :-)

Great, thanks for the info. I think I will try it with the 16# and see how it works!

Great, thanks for the info. I think I will try it with the 16# and see how it works!

Let me know how it goes

Edited by GlockOp

Let me know how it goes

Will do, i'm ordering the spring and a new guide rod this weekend so I will get some loads worked up and tested in the next couple of weeks. I'm upgrading my reloading bench so the press is out of action right now.

• 1 month later...

Mine loves 3.9gr Titegroup, 124gr Berry RN DS, CCI primer and mixed brass loaded to 1.155" Tested 200 rounds for reliability- 0 issues of any kind and feels great shooting them.

Gun is completely stock and this load runs 131 PF from my gun.

Edited by love2shoot

I shot my match yesterday with 4.0gr of Titegroup behind MG 124gr JHP with mixed brass. I thought it shot very good, consistantly two Alpha hits per target, and it is around 135pf out of the 5.25. Have not had any malfunctions with this load yet.

I am still using 3.9 grains of Titegroup and am at 130PF I could easily go down a little more but do not want to push my luck. This particular powder, bullet and 3.9 grains seems to be really popular with the XDm and G34 shooters in our central Texas area.

• 1 month later...

Great information here for a new 5.25" 9mm owner. New to this venue and loading 9mm, what are you guys crimping to?

I loaded some Precision Delta 124 FMJ and JHP's with 3.8gr Tite Group and an OAL of 1.145 and 1.11 respectively. Mixed brass WSP and crimped just enough to be a measurable difference (.005) from 1/8" down on the case.

Have not fired them yet but hope to get out this week and see what happens. Reminds me I need to dust of the chronograph. Speaking of which what is the correct distance for reading velocities to get correct power factor? Hate to work up a load then fail power factor because I used a different distance.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I use a Lee factory crimp die to do my crimping....have never measured it, I just adjust till I like the results and lock it in....I would guess its a medium to medium heavy crimp but I like my preassure to be pretty uniform/consistent before the bullet lets go...the only adjusting I do after that is to make sure the die is still screwed down tight before each session. I do the same with every caliber I load.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shooting a XDM 4.5 with a Bar-Sto barrel, and SJC comp. I'm loading MG 124 CMJ with 6.0grs of AutoComp at 1.15 MV around 1300fps and they shoot great.

I dropped the charge to 5.5grs for my G34, and it eats them up with no issues. Both are very comfortable to shoot.

Edited by Bansheex

Shot a new load this weekend at the local match.

Switched to N320, 4.2gr, 124gr MG JHP, COL 1.135, mixxed brass. It chrono'd with a 134 pf. Very smooth recoil, and a lot cleaner than Titegroup. After shooting this it would be hard to go back to dirty TG ;)

This is out of an XDm 5.5

Edited by kdhill

• 3 weeks later...

I was chronographing my Savage .223 Remington at 100 yards today so I checked a few loads through my XDM 5.25 9mm too.

Bullet: Zero 115 gr. JHP

Powder: VihtaVuori N320 4.3 grs.

Primer: Federal-100

Case: Winchester

LOAL: 1.130

Average Velocity: 1122.99 fps

ES: 63.23

SD: 16.15

Bullet: Precision Delta 124 gr. JHP

Powder: VihtaVuori N320 3.7 grs.

Primer: Federal 100

Case: Federal