Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal Ammo

R112mercer

Thinking of shooting some Heavy Metal next year. Midway has a deal coming up on some .308 ammo, but it has a bi-metal core (mild steel). Will this ammo mess up steel? I'd hate to get DQ'ed for chewing up somebody's Larue target or burning a hole in a popper. Do they do a magnet test at the bigger outlaw matches? I'd like to load up on some blaster ammo, but I don't want to get married to something that I can't use on race day.

some vendors mention if the ammo is magnetic or not. being magnetic does not mean it is steel core. it may just have a lot on antimony in it. but not all MDs know this. best to shoot non-magnetic ammo. that is why i re-load.

:cheers:

some vendors mention if the ammo is magnetic or not. being magnetic does not mean it is steel core. it may just have a lot on antimony in it. but not all MDs know this. best to shoot non-magnetic ammo. that is why i re-load.

:cheers:

There was some discussion of this in the thread about the LaRue TX Championships. Apparently a good way to find out what's inside is to chop a bullet with a good set of bolt cutters. Your MD may or may not be kosher with the technique.

Dan, I bought about 200 rounds of Win 7.62x51 a little better than a year ago, and sure enough it sticks to a magnet.

As to the bolt cutters- they don't even need to be a good pair. A lead core bullet, with or without a bimetal jacket, is soft enough to cut with a pair of lineman pliers. I have a few different steel plates and have shot a bunch of various surplus 8mm, 7mm, 30-06, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 7.65x53, 7.62x54R with and without bi-metal jackets and none of it damages plates like XM193.

But, none of this is a position you want to argue with a MD when you've paid the match fee, travel expenses, and they do a magnet check.

That's what I thought, thanks!

Rob, what ammo is it? I've heard that Winchester White Box even has a bimetal jacket and a magnet will stick to it.

I have a couple of cases of Winchester white box (M80 ball), and a magnet will stick to it. So far I have had South African, Austrailian, British Radway Green, and Privi Partisan ball that was non magnetic.

Hurley

That's what I thought, thanks!

Rob, what ammo is it? I've heard that Winchester White Box even has a bimetal jacket and a magnet will stick to it.

I have a couple of cases of Winchester white box (M80 ball), and a magnet will stick to it. So far I have had South African, Austrailian, British Radway Green, and Privi Partisan ball that was non magnetic.

Hurley

Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! Yep, it's WWB, Midway's selling it as part of their black Friday sale for $129/200. I was thinking of getting some but if it won't pass the magnet test I think I'll hold off.

Aim Surplus and Palmetto State Armory both have Federal American Eagle 150g for about $105/20. This ammo is good stuff, clean, consistant, and accurate enough. Best of all- copper jacketed, nonmagnetic.

Hundred & five bucks for 20 rounds? I'll pass. :devil:

Oops! forgot an all-important ZERO! $105/200!

Aim Surplus and Palmetto State Armory both have Federal American Eagle 150g for about $105/20. This ammo is good stuff, clean, consistant, and accurate enough. Best of all- copper jacketed, nonmagnetic.

Hundred & five bucks for 20 rounds? I'll pass. :devil:

Oops! forgot an all-important ZERO! $105/200!

$105/20 would be about right for good .50 BMG, IIRC. Probably overkill, even for Heavy Metal. :roflol:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I also like Federal brass better than most other brands.