Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reconsidering my Tac-Optics Sights---Opinions?

CJW

Right now I run an EOTech with a 5x magnifier. All knocks on the EOTech aside, it has worked for me; it is great for close, non-magnified work and with the 5x in place I think I get a little bit of an advantage over the 1-4x variables. The biggest drawback is that any crud on the EOTech will smudge the reticle. As I discovered at FNH, when you are shooting 1MOA targets and your 1MOA dot starts to smear, it's not a great combination...

I am thinking about getting a Vortex 2.5-10x scope and using the Dueck Defense offset irons. I did not, however, notice a lot of Tac-Optics shooters at FNH using higher power scopes with offset irons.

What are the overall arguments for and against that type of setup compared to a variable optic that goes down to 1x for close work?

Thanks!

The dominant Tac Optics sighting system remains the low powered variable. And I'm seeing more and more Swaro 1-6Xs at every major match but there are a HOST of good options.

Sorry to those that love them, but the offset iron systems just don't seem to to make the cut against optics. The Dueck system appears to be the best set of offset irons but I still think that they are slower than simply shooting through your primary scope at its low setting. It seems to me that offset irons have three issues which offset dots don't have. First, they have short sight radius, although the Dueck gets all it can. Second, and more importantly, the rear sight seems to be too far from the eye which makes sight alignment more difficult. I think you look at the sight more than you can look through the sight. Finally, using them requires sight alignment unlike the dot/optic which is more "point and click."

Barry sure runs his set up well though. But you simply don't see offset irons on many of the other winner's rifles.

So if you want a Vortex, I would roll with a Razor or Viper. I would much prefer either to your current setup of an Eotech with magnifier.

I did not, however, notice a lot of Tac-Optics shooters at FNH using higher power scopes with offset irons.

I thought that having more than one sight put you into Open. I could well be wrong because not all competitions follow the same rules.

More than one OPTICAL sight puts you in open. Most matches allow an unlimited # of iron sights in any division.

I did not, however, notice a lot of Tac-Optics shooters at FNH using higher power scopes with offset irons.

I thought that having more than one sight put you into Open. I could well be wrong because not all competitions follow the same rules.

You are right beacuase lots of people do not want to shoot open. A 1-4x is good enough for me.

More than one OPTICAL sight puts you in open. Most matches allow an unlimited # of iron sights in any division.

I'm starting to see local non-uspsa matches/clubs using the rule "a non maginifed optic", is the same as iron sights.. and allowing a dot in Tactical..

I'm starting to see local non-uspsa matches/clubs using the rule "a non maginifed optic", is the same as iron sights.. and allowing a dot in Tactical..

That is so wrong. Tactical is one optical sight only, what you are discribing is an open rifle. And is a huge advantage.

That is so wrong. Tactical is one optical sight only, what you are discribing is an open rifle. And is a huge advantage.

So if a dot is a huge advantage over irons why are dots being allowed in limited? If its wrong in one spot its wrong in all spots.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I agree... I don't set the rules. I think it's just a misunderstanding.. that since USPSA stared allowing 1x power optics.. therefore irons and 1x optics are equal in all cases.. it'll pribably carrt over to pistols next. :)

I was warning a couple guys they'd get bumped to Open... I had to check with the RM/MD, that this was the case

ETA: I guess this is just another reminder.. to check the local rules before assuming..

Edited by D.Hayden

I have been to a few local matches where junior shooters that would otherwise be in Open division are counted in Limited. My son loves the 1 o'clock red dot beside a good 3-9x scope, but if we go elsewhere he will probably be bumped into Open. Is this common in other places as well? I don't think this is a USPSA-wide thing, but maybe it should be...

Slight thread drift:

As Kelly N. stated above, I don't think 1x and irons are interchangeable except that a 1x optic can be used instead of irons in limited. I don't think 1x can replace irons in tactical.

David E.

Or I'm just wrong?

I have been to a few local matches where junior shooters that would otherwise be in Open division are counted in Limited. My son loves the 1 o'clock red dot beside a good 3-9x scope, but if we go elsewhere he will probably be bumped into Open. Is this common in other places as well? I don't think this is a USPSA-wide thing, but maybe it should be...

At a USPSA match? :surprise:

Any junior (age < 18) uses any gear they want at multi-gun matches, yet are scored in Limited Division? Do you score them Major PF too (when the chrono says "minor")? Do you let these juniors shoot pistol matches using Open equipment and score them in Production Division (or Revolver? SS?) ?

I've known some juniors who were/are Master class shooters... (without any accommodations), would they receive such an accommodation? If not, what's the cut-off point?

I'm all for encouraging juniors to participate, but I don't support this method (I guess that was already obvious :rolleyes:).

Sorry for taking the bait and participating in the thread drift; make this its own thread if necessary.

Respectfully,

ac

Slight thread drift:

As Kelly N. stated above, I don't think 1x and irons are interchangeable except that a 1x optic can be used instead of irons in limited. I don't think 1x can replace irons in tactical.

David E.

Or I'm just wrong?

At a non USPSA match it's the MDs decision..

At a USPSA match? :surprise:

Any junior (age < 18) uses any gear they want at multi-gun matches, yet are scored in Limited Division? Do you score them Major PF too (when the chrono says "minor")? Do you let these juniors shoot pistol matches using Open equipment and score them in Production Division (or Revolver? SS?) ?

I've known some juniors who were/are Master class shooters... (without any accommodations), would they receive such an accommodation? If not, what's the cut-off point?

I'm all for encouraging juniors to participate, but I don't support this method (I guess that was already obvious :rolleyes:).

Sorry for taking the bait and participating in the thread drift; make this its own thread if necessary.

Respectfully,

ac

That's why I denoted "local match," (read:non-USPSA, and therefore MD's decision) and why I asked if it was commonplace. Although I'm still not sure where you stand on the matter :D

This was not extended to pistol, only rifle.