Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer tube explosion posted at calguns

I didn't see that this got any mention here. It spawned a thread on GT. I'm curious what people think happened and what the odds are of anyone else having something like this happen without seriously mis-handling primers? Should we all be wearing heavy leather work gloves when handling the primer pickup tubes?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=495909

What kind of error could even cause that though?

Also, when dumping a pickup tube of primers into the magazine, what do you do to get the last one (still caught in the pickup) to drop through? I've always used the primer mag follower to gently push it through...but should you instead use something (fingernail?) to gently spread the pickup until the primer just falls through?

You never know what some people CAN do but a saying around circles I run in is "there are some people who can fu$& up an anvil with a rubber mallet".

For some reason I always place the plastic primer alarm rod into the primer drop tube so I know when they are all in the press tube. Haven't had one go off yet in over 25 years (finds wood to knock on).

You never know what some people CAN do but a saying around circles I run in is "there are some people who can fu$& up an anvil with a rubber mallet".

For some reason I always place the plastic primer alarm rod into the primer drop tube so I know when they are all in the press tube. Haven't had one go off yet in over 25 years (finds wood to knock on).

I do the same thing. Turn the pickup tube upside down, place over primer drop tube, insert alarm rod, pull the retaining pin, and watch all the primers and alarm rod drop. Remove alm rod from pickup tube, place into primer drop tube.

I'm glade he will be ok. That's why I always clean my tubes ever 500 to 1000, I use a Q-tip in the small tubes and a patch in the large tubes, try it and you will see how much primer dust you get out of you tubes. With the primer dust in the tube and you pull the pin and the primers go zipping down the tube that could set it off.

A good friend of mine 'Ammodump John' in Sacramento had a primer tube blow up. Was on a Dillon 1050, John is a commercial reloader(he has 4 1050's, 2 650's and one 550). The last primer in the tube got caught sticking to the top of the primer feed tube. Like all of us have done so many times he touched it with his finger to align the primer to drop. However a static charge set off the primer and rest of them in the primer feed tube coming straight up. Injured John's right index finger and thumb. But worst of all an anvil went in his eye causing him to loose it, current John has an artificial eyeball. I will NEVER reload again without safety glasses on, I hope you all do the same.