Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Recomendation

Wanted

Deciding on a bullet should really be based off of what you are going to use it for. Long range use a Sierra 175 or a Hornady 178. Look for good b.c. If you are hunting you should look for other things. If you are just plinking then find a cheap bullet that shoots well in your gun. Give us more info so we can help.

I used H335 behind some Sierra, 125 grain bullets, but, for heavier bullets, I use either Varget, or Tac.

A friend of mine has had pretty good results with 748 behind the whole range of bullet weights.

Just plinking, I guess you would call it. Paper targets out to 100 or 200 yards. Nothing to serious.

At 100 to 200 yard ranges, any light bullet will perform well. I typically shoot 155gr Palma SMK's all the way out to 800 yds but when I wanna reach a little bit farther and buck the wind better, I switch to 175's.

You will pay more for the SMK 155's than you will for "regular" bullets. Unless you are prepared to spend the time finding the right load (and H335 is not a particularly good choice), then you won't see any advantage with the Palma bullets over some generic lighter weight bullets.

For general plinking and target rounds I've had good results with these:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7239&dir=278|281|1081|1161

I'm putting 45gr of Varget behind them in NATO headstamp cases, and it's not uncommmon to get some cloverleaf action at 100yrds.

Rifle: DPMS LR308, stock trigger, 16"barrel

H335 is one of those BL-C2 types that some manuals recommend magnum powders and some don't. It's funny of the half dozen rifle powders I tried I never tangled with H335.

Sierra 168gr HPBT

41.6 grains of IMR4895

Winchester brass trimmed to 2.005 length

Neck sized only, fire formed to my chamber

Winchester Large Rifle primer

Bullet set to .010" off the lands

I have gone from jam fit to .025" off and .010" gave me the best results. I kept the targets ro my records and you can see the difference.

The rifle is a Savage 10FP, bolt action.

This load gives me a consistent chronographed 2675 ft/s (+/- 15ft/s) and shoots 5 shot groups at 200yrds that can be covered with a quarter. I also use this round out to 300yrds with similar results.

Just plinking, I guess you would call it. Paper targets out to 100 or 200 yards. Nothing to serious. I have a good supply of H335,so I would like to use that. Thanks for the help.

Just plinking..... Get the cheapest 150s you can find and have a good time.

What twist is your rifle barrel?

I called Hi-Tech Ammo today. They have the bullets from the M80 round, which I guess was originally for the M60 machine gun and I guess now it is the M240 machine gun.

They want $110 per 1,000 bullets.... so eleven cents each. I don't know how that compares to other bullets from say Speer, Sierra, or Nosler.

They are in St. Louis.

Their number is 1-800-468-8617.

EDITED: whoops! I forgot to add that those bullets are 147 grainers.

Edited by Chills1994