Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marvel Conversion problem

baa

Howdy all,

I purchased a used Marvel Unit 1 conversion kit for one my single stacks. I installed it and took it to the range to sight in and had the following problem- The unit will fire and cycle, but the sight rib will lift away from the rest of the assembly periodically and the extractor/ejector thing (right side of the rib) will lift up and hit the breech face, locking up the gun. I have to pull the slide back and push the rib down to clean the ejector I did not get a manual with the kit (and Marvel does not have one on their website) nor do I see any obvious screws which keep the rib from lifting away from the rest of the slide assembly.

Thanks!

Ahh.. That may be the problem. I did tighten up the guide rod, but I used the slide stop already in the gun. I will try it with the Marvel slide stop and see if that helps.

This is why I need a manual...

In addition to the hex screw, if you use a comp, make sure you use loctite. I use the red package locktite and the screw wants to back out every 500 rounds or so, just something to be aware of. I have a unit #1 and absolutely love it. Once you get it on tight you will be amazed how accurate it is. Also, don't be concerned if when you try to eject a round from the chamber manually you will have to push on the extractor. These are throated very tight.

Maybe someone can chime in here for me as well, I love my unit 1, but I can't get it to run very reliable at all. I have probably 20k rounds thru mine. It constantly has ftf's. It's favorite ammo is federal bulk pack, and I've tried many different mags and same issues... Some nose dives, some too high... So frustrating. I have two tac sol mags and four marvel/ colt ace mags.. I've tried adjusting feed lips and that helps a little, but it's still aggravating. To the point I'm considering selling it to fund a tac sol conversion.

Maybe someone can chime in here for me as well, I love my unit 1, but I can't get it to run very reliable at all. I have probably 20k rounds thru mine. It constantly has ftf's. It's favorite ammo is federal bulk pack, and I've tried many different mags and same issues... Some nose dives, some too high... So frustrating. I have two tac sol mags and four marvel/ colt ace mags.. I've tried adjusting feed lips and that helps a little, but it's still aggravating. To the point I'm considering selling it to fund a tac sol conversion.

Your problem is most likely mag play with the mag in the gun. Take the conversion off of the frame and insert a mag. Check for up and down play. If the mag moves at all then that is your problem. EGW makes an oversize mag catch. Get that and your problem will go away. The mag catch is .020 oversize.

Your problem is most likely mag play with the mag in the gun. Take the conversion off of the frame and insert a mag. Check for up and down play. If the mag moves at all then that is your problem. EGW makes an oversize mag catch. Get that and your problem will go away. The mag catch is .020 oversize.

I'll do just that, The mags all have quite a bit of up and down play! I always suspected the mags, but never the mag catch.. I'll be sure and order one to try.

Thanks again!

Until I switched to Kimber mags I was having quite a few of the same problems. When I made the change it runs like a champ. I started off having FTF left and right, mainly stove piping. When I used the kimber mags I need to give them a little tap to ensure the rounds are seated properly. Mine likes Fed ammo as well. After I made the adjustments to the mags it is not picky on what it likes. Try the kimber mags and let us know how it goes.

Are you talking the Kimber polymer mags? Also I checked the up and down travel with an inserted mag and the slide off... They move big time.

Yes, I am. I had issues with the poly mag that came with the gun. You can usually find them on sale at Midway for $16.99 or so. IMO it would be worth getting one and trying it out. I tried 4 other types of mags and my problems went away when I used the Kimber ones. Good luck and let me know how it works.

• 8 months later...

Try GSG mags. I use them and they work great. Had to clip one coil off the mag spring as they were too stiff and the first round wouldn't reliably eject. Now, 800 rounds with no FTE or FTF. Had colt ace mags and was always tweaking the lips to get them to run reliably.

Some items to check, first is the fit of the lower barrel lug to the frame. If the frame channel is quite a bit wider than the lower barrel lug, the barrel may not be centered when you tighten up the guide rod. If the barrel is not centered in the frame you will have feed and extraction problems. Also check the breechface with a .22 case to see if it is undersize or oversize, I've seen both. If the recess in the breechface is too small it will run OK until it gets a bit dirty then malfunction. If the recess is oversize it won't run when it's clean, but will run better when it's dirty. Check the roll pin holding the extractor is tight in the slide and has not moved up or down and dragging on the magazine or sight rail.