Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

30 carbine?

DULLYJAY

my old rifle doesn't seen to care what powder i put in it...it will function reliably with all of them....mines an old Winchester that came back from the rice paddies...the only thing that it just will not shoot is lead....my rifling is not very good and i guess the lead just won't spin....as far as powder goes..i consider the rifle a fun plinker and the cheaper i can get it to go bang the better i like it......i use the cheapest powder i can get my hands on.....2400, 4227, H108, H110, ww296......Seems like powder valley had some H108 for real cheap a while back...and Pat's reloading always has cheap surplus bullets and pull down powder....in case you're just starting loading these things. i'll give you some advice that i learned the hard way.....measure the oal of the cases after you size them......if you let them get too long, you'll be ripping the heads off the cases and breaking extractors.......and don't crimp them any at all....just get the flare out.....good shoot'n....D I C K

Carbine, right? Not handgun?

Ditto on the *case* OAL. The rounds which locked up my Blackhawk (too long) functioned fine in the carbine, but I am sure I was heading for trouble. The round headspaces on the mouth, and it was real easy to be over length in the Blackhawk after 2 loadings, for sure on the 3rd. I dabbled in case trimming, but it was a long time ago, and I gave up. Since then, I have shot just factory ammo.

In those days, I never saw the warnings for ww296 regarding light loads, so I just reduced the load until the carbine just barely functioned; that load was way more friendly in the Blackhawk. Nowadays, it is much more fun to go the range and shoot factory loads, and have people ask, "What IS that thing?" :P

The factory duplicate load was 15.0 gr of 296 and 110 gr bullets. Reading Winchester's warnings make me think that 296 is not a good powder for experimentation.

Lee

Jay:

My favorite is 14.7gn of H110. Rifle runs good, bullets move at about 2100fps (pf of 231!)

I tried lots of different bullets - no problem with FMJ, SP, or plated. I did have some problem with West Coast bullets. The profile is a truncated cone, not an ogive. With the same OAL as other profiles the bullet jammed into the lands. About 70% would not go into battery without smacking the bolt handle. Excellent accuracy once they were lit.

BTW, I always crimp with a Lee FCD when I load for a semi auto. I have seen the results of bullet setback caused when the round is slammed in by the bolt, and I do not like it. I shoot an AR, the carbine, and a Garand.

I love my carbine - one of the most fun guns I shoot.

Jay:

My favorite is 14.7gn of H110. Rifle runs good, bullets move at about 2100fps (pf of 231!)

I tried lots of different bullets - no problem with FMJ, SP, or plated. I did have some problem with West Coast bullets. The profile is a truncated cone, not an ogive. With the same OAL as other profiles the bullet jammed into the lands. About 70% would not go into battery without smacking the bolt handle. Excellent accuracy once they were lit.

BTW, I always crimp with a Lee FCD when I load for a semi auto. I have seen the results of bullet setback caused when the round is slammed in by the bolt, and I do not like it. I shoot an AR, the carbine, and a Garand.

I love my carbine - one of the most fun guns I shoot.

G.G., can you please tellme correct way to crip in the the cal. stated above? It looks like we reload and shoot the same things.

I used to be a carbine freak. I and I do mean freak. Even bought the receiver wrench so I could build them. Anyway, my favorite two loads were both with H 110 (burns much "cooler" than 296, especially noticeable in full-autos), Speer's 110 gr Varmiter and their 100 gr Plinker, for cheap, close-up work.

be

Standard FCD crimp set-up:

1) Shell plate up (no case in the plate)

2) Run the FCD body down until it puts a little pressure on the plate

3) Tighten the lock ring here. This sets the sizer to the right place.

4) Back the crimper (cap) almost all the way out.

5) Cycle the press to put a case (w/bullet seated) into the fcd

6) Tighten the cap untill you feel resistance

7) Adjust the crimp (tighten/loosen cap) until you get it the way you like it - this can be a bit artful. I like the case to be VERY slightly pinched (mabe 0.001") . This makes the case go into the chamber easy, ensures the bullet is tight, but still leaves a little shoulder for headspace.

Geek

H 110 (burns much "cooler" than 296, especially noticeable in full-autos)

Interesting. Because H110 and 296 load weights are almost identical, many people say they are the same. Now evidence they are different.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

.30 M1 Carbine? My load:

Powder:12.7 grain VihtaVuori N110

Primer: WSR or FC GM205 SR Magnum Match

Case: DAG87

Bullet: Hornady 110 FMJ

OAL: 1.674"/42.55 mm

Case TTL: 1.283"/32.60 mm

Works well for me. Good reloading/shootin'

Henny.

:wub: love my carbine which survived the European battlefields! and contributed to our freedom.

I've used a bunch of National Bullet's 120 grain cast bullet in my various carbines. I haven't found one powder that's vastly superior to another for use in the carbine. Accurate #9 and H110 are the powders I've used the most and both work fine.

One thing to be aware of when shooting lead in a carbine is that you'll eventually need to unscrew the gas piston and scrape the lead out of the gas chamber and off the piston. A gas checked bullet may reduce this somewhat.

H110 and W296 are both made by in the US (Primex I think) for the respective companies. Essentially they are the same nominal burn rate, the Hodgdon H110 is better than 296 for more reasons than I could prove, but the most obvious to me was in my 22Hornet (Anschutz 1732), this rifle would group with factory ammo .6" - .75". As long as the ammo was made in Germany, which like their cars is expensive. Winchester 296 would go just on .7" at 2800fps with a 45gr Sierra. Same load with 110 would go .25" - .3" at 2760fps. But I could get 2875fps with the 110 and still stay under .5" if I put 1/4 grain more 110. If I backed the 296 load down to 2760 it shot worse than the 2800fps load.

I also prefer the H110 for the carbine with a Sierra 110gr SP, works awesome on goats out to 100yards. I use a taper crimp die on the 30Carbine. It is an old Simplex brand and is no longer made. I think Reding do something similar. Load it like a skinny 38Super. Any good Carbine will work well with anything in the burn rate range as described.

I prefer the Dillon Taper Crimp dies for semi-auto rifles, wherever possible, Redding is the next best choice.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to play with my M1 Carbine in a local 3 gun match. I was looking for loads and came up with an IMR powder. But it won't run in my Dillon 650.

Anyone have any loading experience with M1 with the 110 gr bullet? Come up with a powder that will meter well in a 650?

Thanks

imr 4227 probably wont meter as well as accurate arms number 9, H110 or win 296, all of these are ball type powders and work great in carbines.

VV N110 should work too, just a mite expensive compared to H110.

hodgdon Lil Gun should work as well. i believe you will use less powder with it..

alliant 2400 isanother good powder that should work great.... 4227 would work good if the dillon measure woudld meter it.

SVI4ME

My load listed above (14.7gn of H110) is loaded on a 650 and it works great!!! Also check out my comments about the various bullets I tried.

Net is be careful of Westcoast plateds they are shaped differently - more of a truncated cone than a smooth ogive. They seem to work fine, but if you seat them to typical OAL, the shoulder may (does it on my M1) stick in the lands and prevent the gun from going into battery.

Geek

• 1 year later...

30carbinerifle.jpg

5 shots, 100 yards

Bullet: Sierra 110 Grain Round Nose

Powder: 15.4 grains of 2400

Primer: Remington 6-1/2

Case: Federal

Firearm: Marlin Model 62

Optics: Leupold 2x7

Velocity: 2136 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

30carbinepistol.jpg

6 shots, 100 yards

Bullet: Sierra 110 Grain Round Nose

Powder: 15.4 grains of 2400

Primer: Remington 6-1/2

Case: Federal

Firearm: Ruger Blackhawk

Optics: Open sights

Velocity: 1703 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

• 7 years later...

I've been using my M1 Carbine with a red dot for a "tactical match" that is 3-gun with pistol cal carbines OR M1 Carbines. It is a complete hoot, I really love the M1 Carb for it's handling and size. Have also used it in CQB-type 3G matches that are held only in pistol bays, since it is more fun & less money than ARs at that distance.

H110 is cheap, available on store shelves, meters well. .30 Carb is as easy as loading pistol rounds, nice break from the dern .223 PITA. I think it is 13.7 gr of H110 and a Berry's 110 gr plated that shoots and functions well. I think it was around 1,800 fps. Groups from memory were around 3/4" or so at 50 yards, and ~2" or better at 100 yds. I know after I got the gun, from the bench I put a full mag of 15 rds into a 2" bullseye at 50 yds, with room around the edges, and I was pretty impressed with it.