Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex parts installed!

matgyver

One Grace 1/8 roll pin punch

One longer 1/8 pin punch-grace isn't long enough to push pins all the way out.

One Grace 8 oz brass hammer

One Wheeler brass drift punch

One roll duct tape-sticky bench block and punch protection.

Vice-if your rear sight is that tight.

YouTube

That's all that's needed to install the COMPAEK and RAM. Second gun I've installed components in and I'm pleased with the quality and ease of installation. Yes you will take everything out of the frame, but it's worth it. Now I have full confidence that I could fix/replace anything on the gun if needed at a match. Also put some red FO in the front sight and am liking the changes.

Can't wait for next match to see if we get any improvement on times.

I actually sold my M&P 9L a while back because I hated not feeling any trigger reset. I found a smoking deal on a 9C and figured "why not?", so I got it and put the RAM in...holy crap! I wish I had just held on to the 9L and done the same. It's great! A side benefit is dry firing. The trigger resets, and you even get a feeling similar to the trigger break at the end, all without reracking the slide. It's very conducive to practicing a lot with, as reracking the slide takes away from some of the realism of practice. I give APEX my entirely unqualified seal of approval :cheers:

Congrats. I just got mine in this week as well. Everything except the USB that is. My SAE hex wrench set didn't go small enough to loosen the rear sight, so I'm holding off on that until I get get ahold of a proper wrench.

Other than that though, the process went relatively smooth. Only time I panicked was when I found the lock-plug sitting on the bench (it had fallen out) and had no idea what it was and where it had come from. After looking at some parts diagrams though I figured out where to put that back :D.

I really do like the RAM, and the rest of the kit had really lightened up the trigger pull significantly. Hopefully the final addition of the USB will make it even better.

My "oh crap" moment was when I saw the tiny silver clip spring fall from the locking block...it's the one that holds the takedown lever in. Thank goodness it's shiny and the flashlight found it.

That's really funny. You just made me relieve some moments I had when I installed the Forward Set Sear / Trigger set and the RAM. Same thing happened and the ensuing panic did set in looking for the darn thing. Thankfully also found it after a few minutes which felt like hours.

As mentioned, I've essentially made this pistol not legal for competition but oh man what a difference. It is truly one of the best feeling pistols that I own now. Just a joy. The trigger break is incredible and the reset amazing. Heck the initial take up is almost nonexistent in comparison to what it was before. Yes, I now have $600 in the gun + about $200 in parts to improve it to nonlegal status compared to just simply having purchased a Shadow but........ it's a great range gun.

Supposedly the good folks over at Apex Tactical are working hard at getting these upgrades approved / incorporated into a S&W model so we'll see if I have the opportunity to shoot this legally one day (there's always wishful thinking).

That's really funny. You just made me relieve some moments I had when I installed the Forward Set Sear / Trigger set and the RAM. Same thing happened and the ensuing panic did set in looking for the darn thing. Thankfully also found it after a few minutes which felt like hours.

As mentioned, I've essentially made this pistol not legal for competition but oh man what a difference. It is truly one of the best feeling pistols that I own now. Just a joy. The trigger break is incredible and the reset amazing. Heck the initial take up is almost nonexistent in comparison to what it was before. Yes, I now have $600 in the gun + about $200 in parts to improve it to nonlegal status compared to just simply having purchased a Shadow but........ it's a great range gun.

Supposedly the good folks over at Apex Tactical are working hard at getting these upgrades approved / incorporated into a S&W model so we'll see if I have the opportunity to shoot this legally one day (there's always wishful thinking).

What pistol competition does not allow these mods?

• 4 weeks later...

250 round update.

I haven't gotten a lot of rounds down range with this set up yet but I'm less than pleased with te trigger reset. It's long, and with the ram it's still not tactile.

Here's to hoping the universal ram from apex is better. I also wonder what happened to producing the fss kit with a factory looking trigger for us production snobs.

Hey APEX: make a fss kit with a stock trigger! Make a new trigger bar! Couple with fss and blow my mind!

Only time I panicked was when I found the lock-plug sitting on the bench (it had fallen out) and had no idea what it was and where it had come from. After looking at some parts diagrams though I figured out where to put that back :D.

I really do like the RAM, and the rest of the kit had really lightened up the trigger pull significantly. Hopefully the final addition of the USB will make it even better.

haha, i had the opposite problem. was putting it back together and noticed the empty hole where the lock plug used to be. I ended up finding it on the floor.

fortunately, the apex vid warned me about the tiny silver clip that holds the takedown lever in.

I've never shot a gun with tactile reset, so I don't miss it or care about it or know what it would benefit me. From an interview I saw with rob leatham, he doesn't really get it either, so I'm probably not missing anything important.

I got the dcaek and put in the sear and usb and shot it a few times before i put in the heavier trigger spring. I definitely shot best with the heavier spring and I'm very happy with the gun now.