Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Rules

EricW

I'm sure this post will kill off any friends I might have left in Benosville, but here I go again.

I'm sick and tired of all the teeth knashing over "The Rules" in IPSC and USPSA, notably how to reorganize the divisions so they're better, more pure, or what the hell ever.  Enough already!!   Either just change the damn things and tell me what they are or put a cork in it.  I've finally just given up even reading the threads because they've just turned into page after page after page of mental masturbation.  I don't see any good coming out of it.  Nobody is ever going to agree on this, so just DO SOMETHING:

i.e.

- 10 rounds only.  

- Dump all the divisions and make everyone shoot five shot snubbies.

- Production guns only.

- Leave everything as is.

Just pick something and be done with it!!!  It's time to END THE DISCUSSION.  I don't give a sh*t what we shoot.  All this jerking off over how to make things better or more fair is doing more damage to the sport than any current inadequacies.

Time to go take my medication now....

(Edited by EricW at 9:35 pm on Feb. 10, 2003)

[This is just a response! I am not taking a position either way....just responding....don't get mad....]

I hear what you're saying, but you know what? This has been going on since I've been around IPSC, and it seems that it has gone on longer than THAT!  This was a good trivia question, but did you know that shortly after the creation of USPSA, the World Body tried to have Dave Sanford THROWN OUT?  They were actually going to vote on it at some point.  Just like back when we had to vote on whether or not to pull out of IPSC.

Anyway, my point being....

It doesn't seem to matter what you call FINAL, it's never final.  Finalize a rule, and tomorrow SOMEBODY will have a problem with it. The state we're in now is because of many people's attempts to make someone happy. We shoot with 30 round magazines because Chip wanted to sell the STI frame...we got rid of the beltloop rule so Safariland could sell their outer-inner belt thing...we created Limited to fight the arms race...we created limited 10 to fight the arms race....we created production to fight the arms race....it's just going to go on and on and......on......and we'll keep shooting.....:)

I have a bound book of reprints from shooting magazines of the 1890's.  Guess what?  They argued over the same stuff then.  There were even matches where handgun ammo was required to be full power service ammo, no weenie loads.  So, nothing is new.

I'm sure in the original Olympics someone pitched a fit about the new lighter, aerodynamic javelin.

I got momentarily caught up in the politics at my local club because of a rules debate.  It was awful.  I didn't sleep right for a week and I was pissed for longer than that.  Now I try to keep out of it.  If they change the rules too much and it pisses me off I guess I will play somewhere else.

-ld

OK, let me expound a little.  What drives me nuts is that much of the cry for change is so frequently the outcome of our human psyche’s need for change, not out of the need for justice, rightness, or fairness.  All too often we demand change for no better reason than simple boredom with the status quo.  As people we’ve become rather decadent.  There are so few real challenges we face that we demand constant amusement to kill the boredom.  Think I’m wrong?  Tell me another time in history when court jesters were so richly rewarded as today.  

We’ve become so pathetically bored, that we demand that even our politics serve to amuse us.  Democratic regime changes seem to stem less from ideology than contempt through familiarity.  Think about when the Brits sacked Margaret Thatcher.  She literally saved Britain from it’s own stupidity almost single-handedly.  Her wisdom among modern statesman is rarely rivaled, yet the British ousted her out of little more than ennui.  The mark of our utter self-indulgence is how we demand change from everyone and everything else lest we have to put out the effort to change ourselves.  The end result is this constant inexorable churning of regimes, rules, regulations, and culture.  I’m not saying that change should never occur, but so much of it seems like an arbitrary waste of energy.  

Maybe before we stand up and cry for change from without, we should reflect and decide if it we would be best served by changing from within.