Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting slide

shooterbenedetto

do you guys use a calipers or the starret caliper on brownells?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12628/Product/STARRETT-1911-AUTO-SLIDE-RAIL-MICROMETER

this thing cost a fortune? any other way of measuring the legs of the slide without breaking the bank?

I had measured the end of the slide and it was 0.120 in. on each leg. the frame's height is 0.106 so this means need to cut .014 in.

that I would be cutting 0.012 in each leg right? gave a leeway of .002 thousands of in just in case.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Jim Stroh makes a rail gauge for this purpose, to be used in conjunction with a depth micrometer. I took a class from him years back and the tool worked pretty well. i bought his tools later when i decided to start building custom guns, and used them for several builds. they work fine. and a depth micrometer can be used for other stuff, such as measuring the depth of the locking lugs etc. so it's a good tool to have around anyway.

http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com/tools/default.htm

i should add that the rail height will vary depending on where you measure it, so you can't go by a single measurement even on one side. with Jim's tool (in addition to the one your link identifies) you can set it in place and then make multiple measurements and intervals along a rail for each side and make a map of the rail height at the different locations to show you how much material you need to take off at specific places. getting the rails evenly filed is important as your tightening will last much longer.

Edited by superdude

Hello: The Starrett micrometer is actually a tin can rail micrometer. Do a search and you can find them. You will have to radius the back edge to clear the disconnector rail on the slide. They will still cost you about $130 though. A set of gauge blocks and a depth micrometer works just as well but not as fast. Thanks, Eric