Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breach Face Erosion

Dr.Woo

I have noticed a ring of small pits in the breach face of my XD Tactical 45. I have shot around 2500 rounds through this pistol. I believe that the primers may be leaking. I don't see any obvious signs on the spent brass, but something is causing it. I have been loading on a 550B. 4.0gn Clays with Winchester WLP primers, 230gn Berrys RN with mixed brass. I just got a new XDM 5.25C .45 and have shot about 400 rounds through it and am seeing the same thing beginning to happen. I am going to try Federal primers to see if it makes any difference. I would like to know if anyone has seen this, and what could be causing the problem. It would seem that oversize primer pockets would be a more random thing if that was the problem. Thanks in advance.

Oftentimes, that is the result of very low pressure rounds. The pressures aren't enough to force the primer to expand and seal the pocket. Gases leak out and cut those little pock-marks.

The worst case that I've ever seen was in a Limited Minor 9mm gun that was firing a steady diet of 130 PF stuff for Outlaw 3Gun.

I have a Sig .40 that this happened to. I was using reloads that were likely at 180pf mostly Power Pistol as well as factory. Primers were Win and CCI. Never was able to confirm the cause but the gun still works fine.

I have a Sig .40 that this happened to. I was using reloads that were likely at 180pf mostly Power Pistol as well as factory. Primers were Win and CCI. Never was able to confirm the cause but the gun still works fine.

Yup - I'm the case that Braxton1 mentioned.

I was using published load data with severe breech face erosion but I bumped up my pressure a bit and the problem seems to have slowed or stopped.

Never did have a problem related to it though - it just looks really bad. As long as the firing pin doesn't become obstructed or a ridge doesn't form that catches the loading cartridge in firing - I don't think it'll become an issue.

I know HK roller locked rifles have a relief in the bolt around the primer and when viewed from the side, the breech face looks like a cylindrical E.

Edited by DyNo!

What brass as you using and how many times has it been fired? How deep are you seating primers?

Mixed Brass, I'm not really tracking how many times its been reloaded. Primers are seated .002 to .003 below flush.

Oftentimes, that is the result of very low pressure rounds. The pressures aren't enough to force the primer to expand and seal the pocket. Gases leak out and cut those little pock-marks.

The worst case that I've ever seen was in a Limited Minor 9mm gun that was firing a steady diet of 130 PF stuff for Outlaw 3Gun.

I'm loading 4.0 to 4.1 gn Clays. I know this is a popular load. I have read that Federal primers are hotter. Perhaps this will help them seal better?