Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canting gun to the right

Braxton1

I was watching the preview of the "Lock and Load with Bob Vogel" DVD last night and noticed something: Every time you see a close-up of the gun, it really appears that he's canting the gun to the right when shooting freestyle.

Is there a physical anomaly reason for this (maybe a bad set on a forearm break years ago that makes his hand point that way) or is it a technique thing with a performance advantage?

I initially that that it was a trick of camera angle, but then noticed it on all the angles.

He applies a lot of side-to-side grip pressure and really drives the base of his thumb into the gun on the support side. The levarage just pushes it over.

Yes Bob is very big on grip strength

if you go to 4:39 in this you get a very good view of it in action

(also notice how little muzzle flip he is getting, he was shooting L10)

Until Bob comes along, I can tell you what he talks about on his "World Class Pistol Skills" instructional. I hoped he would, but he doesn't mention why he cants the gun when shooting freestyle. Nor does he talk about placing pressure on the frame with his thumbs. He does say that he "torques" both of his hands inward to make the shooting platform more stable.

He does say he cants the gun slightly inward shooting WHO, which he says is probably a result of trying to get the sights in front of his dominant eye.

He stresses getting the weak hand very high on the gun, and puts it more forward than most people. The index finger of his week hand rests on the bottom on the trigger guard, and it's his middle finger of his left hand that rests/pinches in that groove between the right middle finger and the trigger guard.

He also talks at length about the importance of hand strength.

(Good dvd, by the way, though many here that have been studying the game for a long time may find it a little basic. You can stream all of the production company's DVDs for a whole month for $18. They have a lot of tactical and IDPA-specific titles. Vogel's instructional was the most relevant to me. )

Edited by Leozinho

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just saw this. As far as canting the gun to the right I don't do it on purpose. In fact I didn't even realize I did it for a long time until I started seeing pictures of myself. I just use so much force and torque (inward with both hands)especially with the weak hand that it ends up that way. I feel my technique combined with hand strength is a huge part of what allows me to shoot accurately. All else equal the less the gun moves the more accurate you will be.