Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IOS 5 Upgrade

Merlin Orr

Just upgraded my iPhone 3gs to IOS 5and bricked the phone. A quick Google reveals this is a very widespread problem which may or may not be addressed by Apple. If your phone is not your original phone to the sim card - not bought by you originally or has ever been jail broken...... You are probably SOL....

you can always downgrade to a lesser iOS if you need to, depending on which version you wish to downgrade to, you can just do a quick google search and it should go smooth. I bricked my iPhone 4 for two days a month ago and had to revert back to a previous version. It was the first time I had used quickpwn and it actually went fairly smooth. If your a mac user, I high suggest downloading a free app called TinyUmbrella, to save your SHSH.

Edited by donbryant993

My phone is in an endless loop. iTunes wont recognize it to do a restore and it shows no service. Shows "no sim card in the iPhone you are attempting to activate."

AT&T told me to go to the Apple website. Did so and could not get it to work. Called AT&T and they told me to bring it in and they would fix me right up... Went to AT&T and 3 hours later they said...sorry......

Do you think it is because your phone has been jailbroken or because the 3GS can't handle the iO5 upgrade?

I had a Terrible time with an iPhone 3 and iO4 upgrade. Slowed the whole thing down to useless. They fixed it with the 4.01 upgrade but I had already bought the IPhone4

It sounds like it is stuck in DFU mode. go to youtube and type iPhone 3gs dfu mode. there's a bunch of tutorials on how to take it out of dfu. Even if it's not in dfu mode, there are tutorials on the infamous "endless loop".

I LOVE my IPHONE, I HATE AT&T.. They have NO clue what they're doing when it comes to technical service. If you need additional help, PM me and I'll send you my phone number to call me and I'll do my best to talk you through it over the phone.

I gave you the advice for free and could have told you that apple will not help. Could have saved you $30. I have jailbroken and modded every iPhone besides the 4S. You can always get DFU mode to work. I have only heard of one or two people that actually bricked thier phones for real. Stop panicking and do some research. It can be fixed.

I have jailbroken and modded every iPhone besides the 4S. You can always get DFU mode to work. I have only heard of one or two people that actually bricked thier phones for real. Stop panicking and do some research. It can be fixed.

Should have led with your credentials. Mr Orr probably didn't realize the value of your post because he probably thought you were part of the same peanut gallery as me :blush:

iOS 5 upgrade on a 3gs wiped out my wifes contacts/pictures/apps and just about everything else you can think of. She hadn't backed it up in along time since she thought it backed up to the cloud.

For those of you that are planning on upgrading - back it up first!

Just went through the DFU mode and it re-installed the "backup" for the second time now. Same.."could not active iPhone" when trying the wireless connection and still the "There is no sim card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate" in iTunes.

gixxerjunky - I did try everythingicafe and after a number of searches I saw nothing pertaining to my specific problem....

iOS 5 upgrade on a 3gs wiped out my wifes contacts/pictures/apps and just about everything else you can think of. She hadn't backed it up in along time since she thought it backed up to the cloud.

For those of you that are planning on upgrading - back it up first!

Hmm. The process as I observed it twice (once with a 3GS and once with a iPod touch 3rd gen) is that when you connect to iTunes he backs up your iPhone to your computer the way he normally would. Then when you start the upgrade, he does the download, installs it, resets your phone to factory settings, and then restores your iPhone from the most recent backup. I didn't lose anything off of mine.

... If your a mac user, I high suggest downloading a free app called TinyUmbrella, to save your SHSH.

Watch out for THAT stuff. I read about this on a blog (http://goo.gl/zYYiu) that recommended it as a way of giving yourself a way of downgraded back to 4.x. But there were 3 comments saying tinyunbrella shredded their phones to where the upgrade wouldn't work.

Why would you even TRY to do this on a 3GS? iOS 4 bricked many an iPhone 3G/3GS in the past and causes massive slowdowns in the ones it actually works on.

Not for me on either issue, and no I don't screw with my phone by "jail breaking" or whatever it is you wish to call it.

Wgnoys, I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with Tiny umbrella, what I HAVE run into is the lack of instruction on how to actually use the program. Perhaps that's where people ran into trouble.

That aside... I have had three iPhones, my wifes and an iPad 2.. All jailbroken. I swear by it and won't look back.

If one doesn't intend to tether or use there device for something other than what apple intended, then jailbreaking is not for you.

Back to the original posters question.. Have we helped to fix your problem yet? I lost track after all the other discussion. Is your phone still not working? Does it have the spinning wheel of death on the main screen?

My phone was purchased in New Zealand while on a job assignment and, by NZ law, no locked phones can be sold there.

Anyway.... Took it to the Apple store today and after they tried to get the IOS 5 to work a few times I walked out with a new phone - free.

Back in business....

Think I will go buy the 4GS in a day or two. Probably ditch AT&T and go with Verizon.