Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reduced power firing pin spring

Vito Kingsnake

I'm considering installing a Wolff reduced power firing pin spring into my G22 I shot Ipsc with.

On glockmeister.com they say that when combined with a 3.5 lbs. connector the trigger break pull will be around 3.375 lbs.

Is their any down side?

Will this increase the chance of a light strick or mis-fire?

Right now I'm still using factory loads.

Thanks for the help. :)

Will this increase the chance of a light strick or mis-fire?

Yes it will. Many people like them. I do not. You can clip off a coil from the factory spring and still get great ignition.

Maybe I give it a try. Being new, Glocks seem pretty easy to work on.(I did the install on the 3.5lbs. connector.) Is this something easy to install. Or should I have a pro do the install?

It sure would be a lot easier to experiment if I could do it myself.

What should I look out for?

If you need to order some parts anyway, order spare spring cups. Ordering spare parts is a good thing.... in case you get overenthusiastic with a dremel. Giving everything a good polish where ever metal touches metal, will go a long way toward making a smoother trigger pull...

Well, I went the clipping way. I had a spare striker spring (original part) for my G17, so I had the courage to shorten the spring few coils at time.

First I took off about two coils and shot about 1000 rounds (S&B, Magtech and Lapua) without any hickups. After gradual clipping and shooting I ended up with a spring about 2 centimeters (almost fourth !) shorter than the original one. With that shortie spring I shot about three thousand rounds (again various factory loads) without any clicks before I replaced it with the spare to meet the trigger pull requirements of the production division.

I thought that shorter spring would be too failure prone and did not clip any more. My spring still has enough lenght to keep those spring cups pressed in place. Shorter spring would not be precompressed with the spring cups and that would surely yield to problems.

Shortening the spring reduces the trigger weight dramatically. Together with polishing and lighter connector it gets very acceptable, though the lenght of pull will still be miles. I did not have any failures with my experiences but can not give any guarantees :D If you reload your ammo and do not seat primers well you'll run into problems with the lighter hitting strike. Magtech (CBC) is known to have very thin walled primers but also S&B performed 100% reliably.

I run a wolf reduced power striker spring, lighting strike Ti striker and plunger. I like the feel and so far so good with this set up and my handloads using WSP primers. I tried the cut striker spring route before going to the wolf reduced power striker spring and experienced an infrequent failure to fire. I tried a little longer spring and got the same result. No problems since going with the WRP striker spring. Knock on wood..........

Nick-

Seconding D of D.

My G34 is around 2.75 with Wolff reduced striker spring and many K down range. Every factory 9mm load I could find over the last 6 years works.

Currently, 135 PF reloads consist of N320 and WSP with no problems.