Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it my dies or brass that's the problem?

JamesY

I loaded about 50 test rounds through my 650 the other day using mixed brass. The first station is a Lee sizer die. Anyway, once I got the rounds loaded, I put each one through my LWD barrel. I noticed most of the ones loaded with PMC cases would not chamber in the LWD barrel but would chamber fine in the factory Glock barrel. Is it my die causing this or is it the brass? I've never had this happen before and I've been reloading for about 7 years.

Glock barrels are very "forgiving" in this regard. Have you always used the LWD barrel? They are much tighter than the Glock barrels. I've seen ammo that gauged fine with a case gauge that won't work on the LW barrel...

I just bought the Glock 35 a month ago and ordered the LWD barrel at the same time. It's my first time developing loads for it... I'm using a standard Lee carbide die. Looks like I'll order the undersized die.

It's funny that it seems like I'm only having this issue with PMC cases. The Win, FC, etc aren't having this issue with the LWD barrel.

Some brands of brass are thicker than others, so when the bullet is seated, they end up being a few thousands on an in larger. In a tight fitting chamber they won't fit. Avoid this problem by using the Lee factory crimp die. It had a carbide sizing ring that sizes down the cartridge after it crimps it.

I just bought the Glock 35 a month ago and ordered the LWD barrel at the same time. It's my first time developing loads for it... I'm using a standard Lee carbide die. Looks like I'll order the undersized die.

It's funny that it seems like I'm only having this issue with PMC cases. The Win, FC, etc aren't having this issue with the LWD barrel.

Measure the case walls on everything. The PMC is probably a tad thicker which makes everything a little tighter in the end. I use the Udie because I found a difference in thickness of different brass brands. For me FC was not holding bullets in place with a standard Dillon die. I got the Udie and it cured the problem.

Are your bullets jacketed, plated or lead? Are you sure that the bullet is not touching the throat? How about the brass? Is it bulging? I assume that the brass was not fired in your barrel/pistol. Perhaps the PMC was fired in a loose chamber so more bulge than the rest and your die not completely removing bulge...

Try to determine whether it is the bullet or brass that is interfering. You can smoke the case/bullet to help determine where it is touching.

If it is the throat, you can buy a Manson throat reamer and do it your self or load some dummy rounds and send barrel with dummy rounds to LW for reaming. If it is the brass bulge, a Lee FCD will fix it. Notice I did not say Glock bulge. My 2011 bulges the brass worst than my Glock...

I called Lone wolf before I ordered my barrel. I then sent them a money order and included the fee ($25.00) for the Lone wolf Custom Shop to ream out teh barrell/chamber to match teh dummy rounds I prepared. I sized teh mixed brass in a Lee die and seated the Precision Moly bullets of a COAL of 1.135 (no powder or primer). So far I fired about 400 rounds of loaded ammo through the LW barrel without a hiccup. After the 400 rounds, the barrel was really easy to clean. A couple of passes with a Hoppes soaked bore brush and then a couple of passes with a Bore Snakeand violet! Clean barrel.

I think I figured out the problem. I reset the FCD and noticed now the rounds would fit in the LW chamber, although tight. I loaded up a 10rd mag and did some function checks and each and every one would jam in both the LWD barrel and Glock barrel. I couldn't figure it out so I took some factory rounds and function checked them. They all went it smoothly loaded from a magazine and manually releasing the slide. I had the same COAL and the bullets were the same shape. The only difference with my rounds were that the crimp was at .422" while the factory rounds were at .418". I crimped my rounds down to .420" and they still wouldn't chamber from the magazine. I crimped them down again to .418" and this seemed to fix the problem in the Glock barrel but 50% pass/fail in the LWD barrel. I guess I'll send it to LWD with dummy rounds to have them ream it out a little.

BTW, I'm using Bear Creek 180gr flat point lead moly-coated bullets and the COAL is set properly (bullet doesn't touch rifling). For the 50 test rounds, I put the brass through my Redding GR-X die so if there was a bulge, it should have gotten rid of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I figured out the problem. I reset the FCD and noticed now the rounds would fit in the LW chamber, although tight. I loaded up a 10rd mag and did some function checks and each and every one would jam in both the LWD barrel and Glock barrel. I couldn't figure it out so I took some factory rounds and function checked them. They all went it smoothly loaded from a magazine and manually releasing the slide. I had the same COAL and the bullets were the same shape. The only difference with my rounds were that the crimp was at .422" while the factory rounds were at .418". I crimped my rounds down to .420" and they still wouldn't chamber from the magazine. I crimped them down again to .418" and this seemed to fix the problem in the Glock barrel but 50% pass/fail in the LWD barrel. I guess I'll send it to LWD with dummy rounds to have them ream it out a little.

BTW, I'm using Bear Creek 180gr flat point lead moly-coated bullets and the COAL is set properly (bullet doesn't touch rifling). For the 50 test rounds, I put the brass through my Redding GR-X die so if there was a bulge, it should have gotten rid of it.

did you ever get your gun running? Biloxi23 has the solution if it still isnt running. I called them to confirm it was true when i had problems with my LWD barrel. I never sent mine in though because i dont plan on using it anytime soon...came with the gun (extended 6 port G35 barrel).

did you ever get your gun running? Biloxi23 has the solution if it still isnt running. I called them to confirm it was true when i had problems with my LWD barrel. I never sent mine in though because i dont plan on using it anytime soon...came with the gun (extended 6 port G35 barrel).

I haven't been able to go to the range yet to try it out. I'm still planning on sending it back to LWD to get the chamber reamed, but just haven't had time. I'll update the thread when I get it fixed.

I haven't been able to go to the range yet to try it out. I'm still planning on sending it back to LWD to get the chamber reamed, but just haven't had time. I'll update the thread when I get it fixed.

FWIW I was able to get my LWD barrel working with out sending it back. I was curious about Lee's bulge buster and resized my brass with that it my rounds sold all work.

Also tried to a very small crimp using a FCD and that also helped.

I'm sure if u got the lee bulge buster or a u-die may solve your problem