Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropping mag while shooting

jarozzy

I just purchased a 2011 from a friend the other day. I have been shooting a STI Trojan in the past. The new 2011 has an extended and light mag release. So when i shoot it every once and a while the mag drops out. It have found that it is my grip, the palm of me support hand is barely touching the release button. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should i try new a grip? If so what would be the correct grip, i don't want to have a bad technique? Should i get a stronger spring? One thing that i like about this mag button is that i do not have to shift the gun in my hand to reach the mag button, like i do with the trojan.

I did not know if i should put this under the 1911 or technique forum. If i put it in the wrong i am sorry!

Edited by jarozzy

If the mag release button feels really light when you press it to drop the mag,I'd say try a spring first,if it feels normal,+2 for dump the extended release..Try a spring first,though,since it's only a buck or two.Could be the hole in the release might be drilled to deep,defective spring,ETC.

Edited by Lou D

I watch a you tube clip on grips, so I went home and realized that my support hand was way forward. So I adjusted it and hopefully this will work. I need to make sure the palm of my support hand makes a good weld on the gun grip and my shooting hand. I think this gives me enough clearance.

I have to use extended mag releases on all my guns,the end of my thumb is short,gut part of it cut off in a work related accident.I never has problems with dropping a mag,even though I use cut stock springs.I suspect you catch is just way too easy to depress.Try a spring first..

I had the same problem with a gun I was borrowing earlier this year. After 3 dropped mags and a table start that got flubbed, that button couldnt come off fast enough. Now I have my new Limited gun and its has just the standard button and I have yetto have a problem. Yes, I have to shift my grip a little bit, but I can work that into the stage plan id much rather not be dropping mags all day long

I just shot this morning with this new grip and it seems to work, I am going to order a stronger spring just to have on hand. I am actually able to control the recoil better with this new grip even though it is just a little change, but enough to get a bit better control. If the problem continues then i will replace with the stronger spring. Thanks for the input.

Edited by jarozzy

• 3 weeks later...

I just shot this morning with this new grip and it seems to work, I am going to order a stronger spring just to have on hand. I am actually able to control the recoil better with this new grip even though it is just a little change, but enough to get a bit better control. If the problem continues then i will replace with the stronger spring. Thanks for the input.

I had the same problem. Dry fired like crazy till I thought the new grip was natural. It was natural for dry firing and still not natural when the buzzer went off and the adrenaline started pumping. I removed the light mag release spring and replaced it with standard strength. The good thing is that all of my guns now have an extended mag release with a standard to strong mag release spring. Same thing with trigger pull.....all #2.5. I've seen Robbie pick up someone elses gun and adjust to the trigger pull immediately........but that's Robbie.