Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting case gauge experience

diversmith

Just for kicks I tried dropping some factory ammo into my EGW 7 hole case gauge and the RWS and Blazer brass dropped right in and out but Federal Champion wouldn't drop in all the way but they have all functioned fine thru my stock 35????? Are the EGW CASE gauges on the tight side? I don't have any other gauges in .40 to compare it against. I know that glock chambers are on the looser side?

Short answer - Yes. The EGW and the new Double Alpha case guage are tighter than most, especially when testing for a Glock. I have rounds that will only fit halfway in the DA and fire fine in the wifes 34.

Even other gauges from Wilson and Dillon are little tight. I usually get 2 per hundred that won't drop through them (9mm and .40) but when I drop them in my barrel, no problem. Only the grossly larger ones will not go in anything, which are tossed anyway.

Where are the tolerances listed? When I looked at the SAMMI specs, they have exact numbers, no variance or tolerance with case sizes.

All numbers listed have a tolerance. Usually listed as + or - but not both.

For 9mm Luger, the spec lists "UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED BODY DIA -.007(0.18)"

So my guess is that EGW is cutting the holes a few 1/1000th under the max diamter.

Zero 180 JHP bullets (alone) won't fall through my EGW gauge. They fall through my dillon gauge. I use the EGW but I just know the rounds at 1.185 hit right at the extractor groove and are fine in my barrel.

When I use my dillon gauge sometimes a case passes that gets stuck in my barrel.

My .02

Edited by Surge

EGW's gauges are cut with a clymer chamber reamer, so look up the dimensions of that and you have your dimensions.

For .40, I have a dillon, a wilson, and an EGW (actually 3, the 4 caliber one, a 5 hole 40 and a 50 hole 40) as one of my guns has a tight chamber, and I wanted something that would be a good proxy.

From my experience, the dillon is built like they picked the nearest sized drill bit out of the box and made a hole in the thing. It is very loose to the point that something fitting in it guarantees me nothing in anything but a box stock M&P (probably also a glock).

The wilson is TIGHT. To the point that several varieties of commercial ammo won't fit in it. Which makes it totally useless to me.

The EGW is like a tight match barrel, and has been reliable in chamber checking loaded rounds for me. The 50 hole block is awesome as It speeds up the process dramatically, and I can stripe the case heap in it very easily.

If you want something that doesn't produce too many false positives for a box stock glock, the dillon might be the right thing for you.