Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which vest 5.11 or DOMKE ?

Derek45

Now that we've established that some of us actually do wear vests and other concealment garments, can we get back to the question at hand: the best vest for IDPA?

One question not raised is sizing. Are the vests we're discussing available for those of us not '42 regular"?

Perhaps we need to define some attributes of what makes a good vest for IDPA?

• Medium weight fabric that allows one to 'clear' the garment on the draw.
  • Pockets : big enough to dump a mag in without getting hung up in the 'flaps'.
  • Ventilation - without compromising concealment of the gun.
  • Versatility - can be worn off range without raising eyebrows. For those who worry about such matters.
  • Price - a vest shouldn't cost more than a case of freakin' ammo.
  • Size - as per Mr. Sweeney's post

any more ideas??

Some of the vests mentioned satisfy some of these but not all of them.

Until that day,

Mark

John, how do you get your vest to spring open like it does when you touch that tab. I really like the way your pockets pop open when you do reloads. Are they air or electric powered. Do you use a micro switch or prox sensor? :P

John, how do you get your vest to spring open like it does when you touch that tab. I really like the way your pockets pop open when you do reloads. Are they air or electric powered. Do you use a micro switch or prox sensor? :P

Joe, I had one of the control gurus here at the office wire it up for me. The strong side has an auditory sensor that is calibrated to a couple of timers. This enables the vest to open up and back for me to make a quick and unimpeeded presentation. There are proximity sensors for the pockets and the weak side. The sensors are tied to a propriatary mechinism that is solar powered. The battery powered system was too heavy. B):P

For those of you who are more man than a regular vest can handle, KingSizeDirect.com has them from XL up to 8XL. The current style they carry has fewer pockets than the one I usually wear, so it's actually a little better for "every day wear." The price is very good too ... $19.99 - $24.99 depending on the size you order. The have tall sizes too.

Here's the URL:

http://www.kingsizedirect.com/kingsizedire...136&parent_id=&

• 2 weeks later...

Duane,

It's not Royal Robbins anymore --- the last owner of RR spun off the tactical clothing line and then sold RR, while remaining on board as a consultant. Look at 5.11tactical.com and you should find the info you need --- although the site is not MAC friendly. If I was home at the PC I would have looked the number up, but alas I'm at work and it won't display....

1-866-451-1726 to order.

I used a mac running Panther...

For anyone in Columbus, OH, Vances Shooters Supply has a few in stock (up to XXL). I checked them out and was quite surprised at the weight. Feels like a half pound of lead in each front side panel.

Marv