Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching eyes... A tough decision

DoubleA

Went and got a physical and come to find out my right eye is trash compared to my left eye. Im a righty and shoot with tape over my left eye because it is the dominant one, but I did not realize until now how much clearer everything is out of my left eye vs my right. Not only that but I can focus way faster. This leads me to believe that if I can train to shoot with my left eye I could quite possibly shoot faster and with more accuracy. Now, do I learn to draw to my left eye and fight my every instinct for who knows how long, or keep trucking along like I have been. I'm so close to M I can taste it, but I can see this switch holding me back for some period of time if I commit to the change.

I'm doing the same thing right now. Left handed, right eye dominant. I shoot such better groups, faster target acquisition, better sight picture with my left eye. Even though my right eye is dominant, I'm taping my right eye and I'm teaching my left eye to control my sights. So far its working great.

Exactly what MR Kelley said. I went through this years ago for the exact same reason. It took me about a month to get back to the same level I was at when I made the change.

Now throw a rifle and shotgun in and this gets really screwy!! :goof:

Oh man, I didn't even think about the effect it would have on my rifle and shotgun shooting. I could see it being a little hard to shoot those with my right eye taped up.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you just practicing with the tape on, or actually leaving it for the match? Also curious how you actually go about "taping up" one eye. I'm RT handed and LT eye dominant and still trying to overcome this.

I am left handed and right eye dominant. Used to shoot left handed and never did really well switched to shooting right handed since that was my dominant eye and have never shot better. Took a little while to get used to using my right hand but it's second nature now and when I need to shot left handed in a match I have an advantage.

Are you just practicing with the tape on, or actually leaving it for the match? Also curious how you actually go about "taping up" one eye. I'm RT handed and LT eye dominant and still trying to overcome this.

When I say taped up I just mean that I have a piece of frosted tape on the inside of me safety glasses. In a match I use a little chapstick so I can control the transparency and location a little better.

As far as switching goes. I still have not fully decided. Im sure I'm going experiment with it a bit, but I think I'm going to see it through to master as is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for mids131s

Years ago I was working law enforcement and could carry anything, so carried a 1911. Practiced regularly and was getting pretty good (although not compared to the guys who are seriously into competition). The bosses then ruled no 1911s, so I went to the issue wheelgun and started carrying and shooting left-handed and left-eyed (I'm right & right). I know now it was immature, but I was p*ssed at the time. I cut my practice sessions back to about once every 3 or 4 weeks and little or no dryfiring. I started by closing my right eye during the draw & while shooting, but after I got used to it (2-3 months) I started trying to open my right eye a little at a time but use the left. And eventually could keep both eyes open but use the left eye. My qualification scores dropped a bunch at first (from 298 out of 300, down to about 260). The scores crept back up over time and after about six months were back close to possible on that course. I'm certain that you could do the switch faster than that by practicing the draw & dryfiring and shooting more often. The wierd thing is that when the training was finished, I could feel my brain switch over to left eye dominant during a left handed draw.