Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 caliber conversion 9mm/223 and 308/45

I was watching a youtube video by OBXSOLWIND...can't post a link yet but the video id is

14i2WYE3aLk

and he pointed out that his 1050 uses the same shell plate / bottom end to support 45 and 308 so caliber conversions are as "simple" as swapping the tool head, case feeder parts, etc. I was wondering if it's possible to do the same with 9mm and 223. Anybody know?

Bummer, was really hoping that would work. Anyone know the amount of time it takes to do a full caliber change on a 1050 vs. a 650? Everyone seems to say it's a royal PITA, but really...how much worse could it be? I know the costs involved and that's why everyone says the 1050 is more or less a single caliber machine with the exception of those cases were you don't have to tear down the bottom end...I'm just curious about the time.

Bummer, was really hoping that would work. Anyone know the amount of time it takes to do a full caliber change on a 1050 vs. a 650? Everyone seems to say it's a royal PITA, but really...how much worse could it be? I know the costs involved and that's why everyone says the 1050 is more or less a single caliber machine with the exception of those cases were you don't have to tear down the bottom end...I'm just curious about the time.

Complete change over, including the shellplate, minus the priming system, takes me about 15 minutes, taking my time on the 1050. The first time probably took me 30 minutes. I haven't used a 650 in a long time but I remember it taking about ~10 minutes.

For a 650 caliber conversion including swapping from small primer system to large or vice versa, about 20 minutes taking time to clean up the old parts, and lubing the new parts. Most time consuming part is finding some packaging, marking, and storing the unused primers. It can easily be done in less than 10 minutes if I act like a slob and just leave the remove parts laying around. :-)

Great guys...thanks for the responses. That pretty much means I'm not going to make a decision on the 1050 vs 650 based strictly on the time involved in a caliber change. Thanks also for the caliber conversion link...that's an awesome tool.