Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to open

brhalolll

I am finally getting into an open gun, looks like I am in the right place! I have been involved in IDPA and IPSC over the last 6 years. I bought my first competition belt, holster, and mag pouches from Brian Enos' website and read his book several years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to start out with a GM STI. I have read a lot on this forum about where to start, after I placed my order. So, I hope I made the right choice. I should have the gun in 2-3 more weeks. The holster, mags, powder, and bullets have arrived. I am still waiting on brass, big surprise, and dies.

I should have the gun in 2-3 more weeks. The holster, mags, powder, and bullets have arrived. I am still waiting on brass, big surprise, and dies.

One thing you can be doing while you wait - Yes, it WILL take

forever - is try loading the mags - load them slowly until

they're filled, and then stripping off one round at a time

fairly slowly.

When I bought my new STI TruBor and four customized, fitted

magazines, when I loaded the BigStick, as I was unloading it,

the rounds would fall into the magazine.

If that happens with any of your mags, you can begin the process

of correcting that little surprise:(

Also, you can start, right here, deciding on your starting load

(bullet and powder charge) - I didn't hear anything in your post

re: a chrono?? You'll need to spend another $80 to get one of those

or you won't know if you're making major.

Good luck - enjoy the next externity (2-3 week wait for your STI).

Jack

If you are not already doing so, I'd consider tuning the mags to your preference. Example would be base pads, springs, followers and gaping the mag appropriately.

As the above said, if you don't have one, a chrono would be key - but if you are reloading, you know the drill here (...if not, reloading is another topic all together.)

The next thing, I would also invest in a set of springs for the gun so you can get the gun working the way you want. Recoil and main spring set.

At this point, I would look the guide rod, grip and trigger for fine tuning. Once you get here, you should be well on your way to good times. ;)

Enjoy,

• 5 months later...

Well I have been practicing with my new 38 super and I have shot my first match in Open. I shoot again on Sunday. I am really liking shooting this gun. It is fun and fast. I had one of my fastest draws on a steel plate today at 1.17seconds.

I shot up 1 lb of 3N38 and N350 each. Now I am on to Winchester AutoComp. I am shooting 124grain RN FMJ bullets.

What didn't you like about the N350?

Those FMJ bullets will clog up your comp

if you don't keep cleaning it :(:(

I am trying AutoComp because it is cheaper. Going to see if I like it. What bullet do you shoot?

I have a case of those coming to me tomorrow. I should be getting the CMJ 124s. I have been shooting Ranier & Extreme (local?). However, one of the guys at the USPSA match must be a MG dealer. He orders monthly, so it looks like I have a bullet guy, now.