Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cheap way to get into open

JAB

I just finished yesterday putting on the tape and dot. Hope to try it Sat when the sun comes out a bit. I have about $1350 in it. 5.25 with SprigerPrecision trigger. Package for mount and dot was $378 with a slide racker I cant use. Best part is the 170MM 28+1 PistolGear mag extensions @ $60 each. Bad part is the CR Speed Holster will be about $200 if I keep the dot on it.

This is 9MM for multigun but a 40 would be the same but a couple rounds less on the big sticks.

IMG_0364.jpg

Edited by tnek

The Glock is a good way to go, irrespective of the price. I currently shoot 2 different OPEN Glock 17's. Both have WOLFF springs and 3.5 pound connectors. All polished trigger parts with the dremel and jewellers rouge.

Glock extended mag buttons and slide releases with plastic mag wells- IGB Austria scope mounts. One with a Burris Fastfire and the other with a CMORE STS.

Arredondo and Taylor Freelance mag extensions.

They both have IGB barrels. One is a 7 1/2" ported barrel. The other is a Steel compensated barrel. The 7 1/2" one EASILY makes major over the chrono at lower pressures.

I am beating guys with STI and SVI guns every time out.

• 3 months later...

The G22 option gets my vote. You can convert it to 9mm if wanted, or leave it .40 and make Major easier

Either way, starting with a Glock is going to be the most inexpensive option (and +1 for the Jager kit)

My first open gun was Para 14-45 I had a smith build for me years ago. It was pretty good for the time! About a year ago I gave the Glock a try in Open. Now I had a pretty good trigger in it from Vanek. It was fun to shoot but it still was a Glock. Dont get me wrong because I love Glocks. I have since sold it because I dont plan shooting Open at all this year. I am going to stick with Limited along with some production and single stack. If I decide to go back to Open I will go with a 2011 this time though, those guns of Bobby Carvers look really pretty though.

Norincos in Canada are cheaper than Glocks.

I have finished mine see the photo attached. Crisp 3 pound 1911 trigger, IGB compensated barrel, Dawson magwell, sidewinder slide racker, Weigand scope mount and Truglo red dot. Superb reliability and shoots like a dream. Very soft recoil mainly due to the weight as its all steel and .45acp accuracy with the match barrel.

I have fitted Dawson base pads to the original mags that give me 17 rounds in the mag reloadable.

However you have a 10 round restriction in Canada so hi capacity 9s and 38s are of no advantage to you.

So for that reason I suggest a Norinco NP30 in .45acp 369 CAD for a blue one, with the modifications I have done to my NP44 (P14 copy)

No screaming pocket rocket pressures, pleasant to shoot and you should be able to do it for about 1200 CAD.

post-31812-0-84156300-1328798077_thumb.j

Edited by malagamarksman