Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI frame cracked

Alan Adamson

I'm looking at a standard STI frame, there are a bunch of reasons why this happened, but regardless, the frame is cracked vertically from the top edge of the frame in the square notch where the slide release cutout is... The crack extends from the top of that notch, vertically down to the flat or shelf where the slide release sets... this is right behind the detent to put this in perspective.

Here's a picture taken through a 7x loop.

DSCN2280.png

so, what are the options to fix this?

I doubt it can be welded and recut, So besides the costs for the frame kit from STI, how involved is the fix and how costly?

I'm pretty sure I know what happened, but until my gunsmith looks at it, I'm going to keep that to myself... This isn't my gun, but I might have an option to buy it... In the course of looking it over, I found this problem and what I believe caused it (which can easily be fixed). The top end looks pretty good.

Thanks for any advice,

Alan

It is from the square corner of the slide stop constantly pounding the rounded corner of the frame. We put a heavy bevel on the slide stop to help alleviate this. Look at 4-5 of your friends gun in the same spot and don't be surprised if almost all of them are cracked there as well. Let us know what STI says, always wanted to know.

• 1 year later...

I have seen a lot of STI frames that are cracked in this area. I will happen with hard use.

STI reinforced this area with added material directly under this corner. You frame does not have this improvement.

Here is a pic of that reinforcement.

A bevel or radius on the corner of the slide stop won't prevent this.

When installing an oversized slide stop, like EGW, file a radius where the corner contacts the radius on the frame. This allows the slide stop to enter and lock into position.

I beg to differ with AZ guy, the slide stop does not impact down to cause this. It's the pounding from the barrel to the VIS and HIS, especially with bull and compensated barrels.

Saw my first cracked frame in 1999.

post-17789-0-05288200-1380367181_thumb.j

Edited by Jediwarrior

This reinforcement does NOT prevent cracking. It does prevent the crack from propagating all the way down inside.

The early cracked frame I saw eventually had to be retired when it started having reliability issues. It was a 38 Super open racegun.

Edited by Jediwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

If STI won't replace the frame, check with George at EGW. They can weld almost anything cracked and they produce world class work as well as parts. I have known George for many years, and there work is top rated.

Tommy Roupe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welding will not prevent cracking again. This is due to a design flaw. The cross-section on that part on the left side is too thin.

There are probably thousands of STI/SVI/SPS frames out there that are cracked and the owner is not aware of it, or the owner doesn't care.

Here is a pic of an early TRI frame with a cutout on the right side for an ambi slide stop. This created a weak spot which caused it to crack on the right side. Note the holes for a scope mount.

This allowed the frame to flex too much and caused cycling problems. It was retired.

post-17789-0-15444300-1383357810_thumb.j

post-17789-0-97647200-1383357845_thumb.j

post-17789-0-29325500-1383357897_thumb.j

FYI...My frame has the slide stop crack. I checked with STI and they will not warranty that problem on the frames that have the extra reinforcement. They said it was common and would not get worse. However, my scope mount had cracked around the screw closest to the slide stop and they did replace it under warranty.

• 2 years later...