Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using laser in IPSC Open?

3-Gun Sweden

Yes, I know. None of the pros use it, and probably noone else either, but I still want to pop the question.

Do you see any benefits of using a laser in IPSC Open?

I can see a few, like setting 2 guaranteed Alphas in a very difficult target, but let's see if there are more.

Yes, I know. None of the pros use it, and probably noone else either, but I still want to pop the question.

Do you see any benefits of using a laser in IPSC Open?

I can see a few, like setting 2 guaranteed Alphas in a very difficult target, but let's see if there are more.

It think they may be of some benefit in indoor matches. But outside they are difficult to see.

Pat

The only advantage I could see would be the potential to have reduced bore offset for close-range targets compared with a conventional optic. If you went to a green laser, brightness would be OK even in daylight (especially in Sweden - don't get much anyway), but heat could be a concern on extended stages.

Back in the 80s, when lasers first started becoming affordable and Aimpoints had about a 10mm viewing window, I experimented with one on an Open Division handgun.

As background information, the only true advantage of dot sights, lasers, or ANY optic is that you can use a target focus and still get good hits. Unlike iron sights, you don't have to focus on your front sight while your mind wants to focus on what it perceives as the important stuff (the target or the guy with a tire iron in his hand).

I went out and set up an El Presidente (figuring that was as close to THE standard exercise as possible). I was less-than-impressed overall. When the dot was actually ON the target, it worked well. If the dot was not on the target, I ended up using the sights to line up the gun until the dot was visible. Using two sighting systems at the same time negated any advantage that the laser could provide. The other option is to "sweep" the gun back and forth until a dot appears on the target. That sounds slow and it is....

The real disadvantage of the laser came in when I tried to shoot steel plates and poppers with it. On a paper target, you might index on it and get close enough that the only thing required of the laser is to fine-adjust the shot. Your chances of indexing onto a six-inch plate that closely are rare. You then end up sweeping the area, looking for a dot.

What Braxton said ^.

Also what I have noticed (more with pistols) is that people who don't train much with a laser end with having worse trigger control. Once they see the dot on the target they start to mash the hell out of the trigger and end up pulling shots way down weak side.

Thanks a lot for your insight. I sort of knew it already, but it's very interesting to read about year's of experience combined.

How about if you can have the laser on the target from relaxed, staring position, and then move on as normal?

Should save time, if one's allowed to have the laser on there? Depends on the RO?

Depends on the stage obviously and will be rare.

Edited by 3-Gun Sweden

I've watched people try and use lasers on both pistols and ARs during defensive training and the invariably turn them off. The problem is similar to using too high a magnification on a precision rifle. Small movements result in a dancing dot on the target which is hard to focus on and causes you to pause too long trying to get it to calm down.

Lasers are OK for close up defensive use but you have to get them on the target first which means you have to learn to point shoot (index shoot) to some degree to start and once you are at that point, you don't need the laser any more.

But they look really cool in movies...