Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts of switching to XDm from CZTS

Vermilion

With the 5.25 out and the XDm getting accessorized, I've been thinking of picking one up and bolting some bits to it. I currently shoot a CZ TS which is pretty much bone stock except for thin aluminum grips and an aluminum magwell. I love the trigger on my TS and the gun is pretty well balanced except that it is kind of a heavy piece. I will definitely be keeping the CZ TS even if I purchase a XDm.

My biggest problem is I can't fire the XDm before I buy it. We have no rental ranges around here and for the matter no indoor ranges either :(

I know the 5.25 XDm will be a good bit lighter than my TS and the trigger probably not quite as good. I've owned a couple of the original XD's but that was WAY before I got into shooting competition.

Have any of you in this forum shot a CZ before switching to a XDm? Or do you have both and could tell me your pros and cons?

Thanks much.

Sounds like a step down to me! If it feels front heavy, just chop off the frame like a Czechmate.

With the 5.25 out and the XDm getting accessorized, I've been thinking of picking one up and bolting some bits to it. I currently shoot a CZ TS which is pretty much bone stock except for thin aluminum grips and an aluminum magwell. I love the trigger on my TS and the gun is pretty well balanced except that it is kind of a heavy piece. I will definitely be keeping the CZ TS even if I purchase a XDm.

My biggest problem is I can't fire the XDm before I buy it. We have no rental ranges around here and for the matter no indoor ranges either :(

I know the 5.25 XDm will be a good bit lighter than my TS and the trigger probably not quite as good. I've owned a couple of the original XD's but that was WAY before I got into shooting competition.

Have any of you in this forum shot a CZ before switching to a XDm? Or do you have both and could tell me your pros and cons?

Thanks much.

I dont know if this will help or not, but a few years ago I sold my XDm to buy a CZ SA Target. I was shooting mostly IDPA at the time, and I was lusting for the Target. I really didnt like how the XDm fit in my hand. Hard to explain, but it was rather bland feeling. The CZ fits like a glove, and I love it. Unfortunately, there really isnt a place in USPSA for my Target, so I've been shooting SS with my Kimber.

I assume you shoot USPSA Limited with the TS? And you are going to change to Production? To me they are different tools for different tasks. I have an XD-M 5.25 that I shoot some steel challange with, a CTS for USPSA Limited, and a 75 Shadow for IDPA. I have the PRP Ultimate trigger in my XD-M and it is very good for a striker fired gun, but it isn't even close to the single action trigger in the CZ. The XD-M is allot lighter than the TS so it swings much easier. Another nice thing about the XD-M is it has a home in almost any of the games where the TS doesn't.

Edited by Suff

Own both ... have shot both in Competition. Both are great pistols ... when the right trigger job is done. But the new XDm 5.25 is the winner! When Canyon Creek does the trigger job and sets it at 2 lbs, it comes the closest to feeling like my Millenium Custom of any non-1911/2011 pistol I have ever shot (that is a huge compliment!). It is better balanced and the accuracy is unsurpassed. Just my thoughts .....

I assume you shoot USPSA Limited with the TS? And you are going to change to Production? To me they are different tools for different tasks. I have an XD-M 5.25 that I shoot some steel challange with, a CTS for USPSA Limited, and a 75 Shadow for IDPA. I have the PRP Ultimate trigger in my XD-M and it is very good for a striker fired gun, but it isn't even close to the single action trigger in the CZ. The XD-M is allot lighter than the TS so it swings much easier. Another nice thing about the XD-M is it has a home in almost any of the games where the TS doesn't.

Suff, I have to respectfully disagree: the XDm (when Rich does the work) can feel as good or better than the CZ ... but again, just my opinion.

I have a CZ Shadow and an XD9 Service. I have shot both in USPSA production. The CZ is a heavier pistol that helps with recoil reduction. The trigger is very good with a smooth DA (of course that doesn't apply to your TS). The SA is set at 2#. For me it aims more naturally and I like the fact I can fit the width to my hand by changing grips. Overall it's a much more comfortable pistol for me to shoot.

The XD doesn't fit my hand quite as well, but the adjustable backstraps on the XDM could help. The trigger was done by Springer Precision and is phenomenal. I currently have it set at a little above 2#. It has a very short reset with a crisp break. I like the trigger on my XD better to be honest. The XD being lighter seems to transition with less effort but the recoil is noticeably more pronounced when shooting the same Power Factor.

I haven't seen a noticeable difference in accuracy, but I should mention I'm shooting a Bar-Sto barrel in the XD. I'm sure you'll come across the new XDM 5.25 at a match and can sweet talk someone into letting you try it. If I hadn't spent my annual budget on the Shadow I probably would have picked it up myself.

I don't think you can go wrong with it. I keep my XD as my production back up and still shoot it quite frequently. It's hard to compare them since they are distinctively different and have their own strong points.

I went and played with a 4.5" XDm at the local fun shop and while its a nice pistol I don't think I like the grip near as much as the CZ. They did however have a LNIB CZ75 SA only that was like my TS's little brother.

• 2 weeks later...