Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Killed my HP-1

I've been using a pair of Dillon's HP-1 amplified hearing protection for close to 10 years. Last time I was at the range, neither side would "turn on". I assumed it must be the batteries, and I just got around to replacing them. They still wouldn't turn on. So, being the curious type, I started disassembling them. On one side, I found that apparently my sweat had been causing corrosion of the wires at the volume dial, and one of the wires had finally corroded through. If it were bigger and there was more room to work, I'd probably try stripping some wire and resoldering it...but I'm really not that good with an iron, and I'd probably just make a mess. On the other side, there was nothing immediately obvious wrong, but I'm guessing the same thing is probably happening either with the wires or inside the switch.

Being well outside the warranty period, is it worth calling Dillon and talking to them about it...or is it just time to buy another set?

We wll replace the headset for $85 plus your old one in trade. Just phone or email for return authorization. If you email, please include your address.

I was hoping you'd reply. I'll call tomorrow. Has the design changed at all in the past nearly 10 years? I'm tempted to disassemble the new one when I get it and put a dab of silicone or something over the whole dial module and its wire leads to better insulate them from my sweat. I wonder if they'd have fared better if the dials were closer to the top than the bottom?

Aren't the new versions using better technology as well? From what I'm reading they don't clip all sounds now but I can't find any to try out.

Is this the case?

I had the cheap Peltors that cut everything out and it was annoying as all get out.

Sounds like Dillon has this covered, so I won't have to bother.

If I did, I guess liquid electrical tape might be safer to use than regular silicone sealant.

Edited by njl