Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Reloading Questions, Please

Ray S.

Hi. I am about to begin loading for the 9mm. Loading for a Glock, and have pretty much decided on 147G and Vihtavouri 320.

Question: I have seen posts concerning the use/non-use of Federal Primers and also use of small rifle primers. Most seem to go to Winchester sp's it seems.

I have on hand two cases of Federal small rifle primers I was using for PPC, and one case of magnum small pistol primers. If you will, I'd like your opinion as to their use in the 9mm. Not a problem ordering Win SP if I should.

Also, have any of you ever compared the Hornady bullets to Zero or other "normally" used bullets? I've thought about trying them. The Hornady spec states: 9mm/147Gr FMJ-RN ENC (2500 bulk pk. $157.02).

I'd appreciate your opinion a lot, thanks much.

I've been loading 124 gr Rainiers but my last bullet order was Zero's. So far so good, the Zero's run a few FPS slower than the Rainiers with the same load, 4.2 of TiteGroup, I am assuming that the velocity loss with the Zero's is due to the increased hardness of the jacket -vs- the Rainier plating. FWIW the Zero's seem to be one of the better bullet deals. I bought mine from www.rozedist.com.

As for primers all I've ever loaded is WSP's, the rifle primers would IMO increase pressure slightly so develop your load accordingly.

:o I haven't used Hornady pistol bullets, but I have used Zero bullets. They are

accurate in all of my guns.

The price you quoted is about the same for Zero 147gr FMJ's but Roze does not charge shipping for 1,000 bullets and above. :P

FYI, the Hornady quoted above is a real FMJ with a copper base-plate (this is the ENC part-- why they do that when people call ordinary plated bullets 'ENC' is beyond me)

All the Hornady bullets I've used have been excellent, and accuracy with the HAPs can be outstanding.

As long as you seat your primers properly and use the stock setup striker spring you should be fine with the rifle primers. As with the rifle primers and the magnum ones you have they will be a little hotter, so reduce your loads and chrono them. My experience is that a magnum or rifle primer willl bump up the load equal to about .02gr of powder give or take. Check yours and see. Some 9x19s are finicky about what they will shoot well. Powder makes the difference, along with crimp. Make sure that you give it a good taper crimp as well. I am crimping my loads with jacketed bullets at .378 with great results. Oh yeah, Hornady and Zero are some of the best jacketed bullets out there. Good luck, DougC

My PPC revolver can only use Federal small pistol primers, so that's the only small pistol primer I buy, and they work perfectly in 9mm. I have never used small rifle primers in 9mm and don't see any need for them in normal use.

I'm not saying VV isn't good powder, but there's really no compelling reason to use high-zoot powder in a Glock unless you're trying to shoot major in open.

The most economical way to shoot a Glock 9mm is with a 115 gr jacketed (I have no religious preference, but Montana Gold HP's are nice) under 4.8 to 5.0 gr of Titegroup. Cheapie Winchester blue box primers work just dandy too.

Federal pistol primers are not the ticket for over pressured loads, primer flow alley is what you'll get. One advantage of the softer primer is for steel shooters, you can have you hammer spring ridiculously light and still ignite those Fed primers. josh