Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock thumb rest

kyojin

Thought I'd share some pictures of a thumb rest I made for my Open Glock. I made this out of some scrap aluminum I had. It works great. I've got it mounted to an SJC micro dot mount but the c-more mount would work too. Helps keep my grip indexed the same everytime and also helps with keeping my dot on target. It was very easy to make. I will end up painting it black but wanted to snap some pictures while it was silver so you can see how it looks in contrast with the gun. It still needs some sanding but you get the idea of what it will look like.

post-22393-0-33875200-1316206228_thumb.j

post-22393-0-70889400-1316206220_thumb.j

post-22393-0-82656400-1316206277_thumb.j

post-22393-0-47944700-1316206284_thumb.j

Edited by kyojin

I love anything that is homemade and works...

But, what does this help with in regards to shooting? I have never thought, "if only my thumb had a place to rest".

I recently learned to let my thumbs "ride the slide" as to not put pressure on the slide. I think that helped my grip...

Not a hater at all, just curious as to the benefit?

I don't mind showing my stupidity if this is a well known fix to a problem I don't know I have. :D

I love anything that is homemade and works...

But, what does this help with in regards to shooting? I have never thought, "if only my thumb had a place to rest".

I recently learned to let my thumbs "ride the slide" as to not put pressure on the slide. I think that helped my grip...

Not a hater at all, just curious as to the benefit?

I don't mind showing my stupidity if this is a well known fix to a problem I don't know I have. :D

Thumb rests have been on 2011's and other guns for a while. I never saw one on a Glock and figured I'd attempt to make one that was functional and useful. It does help with recoil and grip. At least for me it does. I've got friends of mine who have tried it and they like it as well and feel it helps with recoil.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd share some pictures of a thumb rest I made for my Open Glock. I made this out of some scrap aluminum I had. It works great. I've got it mounted to an SJC micro dot mount but the c-more mount would work too. Helps keep my grip indexed the same everytime and also helps with keeping my dot on target. It was very easy to make. I will end up painting it black but wanted to snap some pictures while it was silver so you can see how it looks in contrast with the gun. It still needs some sanding but you get the idea of what it will look like.

post-22393-0-33875200-1316206228_thumb.j

post-22393-0-70889400-1316206220_thumb.j

post-22393-0-82656400-1316206277_thumb.j

post-22393-0-47944700-1316206284_thumb.j

Looks great, nice work. Do you find that it improves your shooting or not? Thanks for the intel.

Thanks guys. Been a while since i've been on here. It works really well. Helps to keep my grip consistent and I think it helps with recoil management. I will snap some more pictures of the hardware I used to mount it. I didn't have to drill or tap anything. Just some allen bolts I got from Home Depot. It is mounted solid and does not move at all. Only takes a few seconds to remove if needed.

I think the angled aluminum was indeed the 1x1x1/8. I got it at Home Depot as well. I just used a hacksaw to cut out my basic shape then used a file to shape the corners. Great thing about aluminum is how easy it is to work with. Then I sanded everything smooth. I still need to do some finish sanding then will paint it black. It was a worthwhile project that only takes a few hours to do.

• 5 months later...