Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case trimmer opinions?

kamikaze1a

Looks like I am in the market for a new trimmer. Wondering what experiences you have had with various brands. My issue is that the trimmers that hold the shell by the base tends to trim uneven unless shell is aligned perfectly.

It looks like the Forster collet trimmer might be the best choice...

Best trimmer to use is the Giraud or the Gracey as they index on the case shoulder and produce a more uniform bullet jump distance than trimmers that index on the case head. This is because the cartridge case indexes on the shoulder in the chamber, not the case head.

The Giraud and Gracey also chamfer and debur at the same time they trim, collet trimmers need this dane as separate steps. The Giraud and Gracey are also motorized so they are way FAST.

i use the dillon 1200b trimmer on my lnl ap with case feeder and it makes trimming cases fun instead of a chore for me.

here is a small video of it in action making 7.62x40 wt cases from 223 cases

th_762x40.jpg

Edited by biggdawg

I should have noted that cost is a factor. I only go through a few hundred rifle rounds a month so one of those nifty power trimmers might get bored sitting on my bench.

Just received the trimmer so will be giving it a spin/whirl/crank tonight. Report back later...

Cheapest trimmer that indexes on the case shoulder is the Possum Hollow trimmer (under $50). It can be hand turned or chuck it into a drill to motorize it. Trims just as well as the Giraud/Gracey just doesn't chamfer and debur at the same time.

Update, been using the Forster case trimmer and it does a great job compared to my old trimmer. Trims true and within .001 shell to shell.

The hardest part has been making sure the shell seats in the collet fully. I failed to seat a few shells fully and ended up trimming too much. I believe that was caused by the collet sticking initially and not opening back up fully. That prevented the proper seating of the next shell and allowed over-trimming. After more clamp and release cycles, in addition to more lube on the collet, it started to release and open back up properly. Backing off the collet clamp a half turn for release also helped.

Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase. It may not be the fastest trim setup but does a great job...

I am sorry to post this late. I am pretty lazy and like to do thousands of rounds at a time. I am not too anal about being perfect since I shoot most 3 Gun. I purchased the Dillon case trimmer and have not regretted it.

But then again I am not looking for gnats ass accuracty but I do achieve .3 MOA out of Sabre Defence barrel.