Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW U-die

Red Ryder

I would never use one unless I knew a standard Lee die didn't work. I have loaded a ton of 9mm and the Lee Die does just fine. Better then FINE. I simply don't have brass that fails a case gauge due to sizing. Tighter is not always better. It can swage lead bullets and cause other issues as well. If you need it, you need it, but I am against just using it because it sounds cool. Lee makes a very effective sizing die.

I've used the U die and the Redding Push Thru die for .40 . I prefer the PTD because the U die makes the brass so small that it sticks on the powder funnel of my Dillon 550 and slows things down too much. The PTD is an extra step but it makes loading smoother and if I checked probably saves time.

FWIW

Richard

PS: Never found a need for to use either for 9mm or .45

I use a CasePro on everything except 45. I've never had a fat case in 45 and see no sense in wasting the time. The common thing is for the rim to be nicked other than that no problems. I tired the u-die it sucked. Slowed reloading down, took way more effort to size the case, didn't cure the problem. In 40 I used the Redding GRX that is a cure. For 38SC and 9 major CasePro = happy shooter no jams.

The EGW-U die is actually a Lee Undersize sizing die. Lee also offers Overize sizing dies. I tried the Lee U die in 9mm but fouind that my normal Dillon die does as well. I scrap brass from the high pressure 9mm and 40 S&W cartridges after 4 reloads.

didn't cure the problem. For 38SC and 9 major CasePro = happy shooter no jams.

Sounds like we have just the opsite results. What problem did it not cure? I've always been a big fan of the case pro but with the tight chambers on my current set up the case pro just will not cut it, have to use the u die.