Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle ,Shotgun drills

I don't really see much about drills for the 3-gun shooter. I was curoius about what others do.

For shotgun I practice loading a lot (limited) I practice from a arm band and off the belt.  On a plate rack I load 1 round,shoot 1 and so on.

For rifle I like to set up 2 or 4 targets with the first at 20-30 yards and the second at 70-90 yards. Then practice transistions from close to far.

What do the other 3-gunners here do?

Steve

I don't really see much about drills for the 3-gun shooter. I was curoius about what others do.

For shotgun I practice loading a lot (limited) I practice from a arm band and off the belt.  On a plate rack I load 1 round,shoot 1 and so on.

For rifle I like to set up 2 or 4 targets with the first at 20-30 yards and the second at 70-90 yards. Then practice transistions from close to far.

What do the other 3-gunners here do?

Steve

Rifle -

First of all, ZERO YOUR RIFLE!  Second of all ZERO YOUR RIFLE!  I go to a lot of 3 gun matches and so many people have no zeroes for their rifles.  You might as well not even show up.  You want a good battle sight zero which maximizes the relationship be trajectory and sight picture.  Jim Clark Jr. zeroes his AR 1.5 inches high at 100 yards shooting a 55 gr. bullet.  That's a good place to start.  Find out where your gun shoots at 5, 10, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards by shooting 5 shot groups from the prone position.   Don't just guess or believe what some computer program tells you, go out at shoot it, then record your battlesight zero and mark your sight with nail polish (if it's an iron sight).

While you're doing all of this zeroing, learn how to put together an accurate shot.  Brian's book says the first fundamental is accuracy and he's right.  You cannot hose down 200 yard shots.  

Now you're ready for drills.  3 gunning requires that the shooter operate the rifle from 0 to 300 yards or even farther.  Shoot steel plates or silhouette chickens at 150 to 300 yards.  Shoot them from standing (yes standing!), kneeling, sitting and prone.  Start from the ready, assume a position and shoot 3. Repeat.  For short range drills, take an IPSC target and do head shots from the ready at 25 yards and then do body shots at 50 and 75.  Finally, do some head shots at 0 to 5 yards to get used to holding high to make up for the high sights.  Then mix the drills up. Good luck!  

Shotgun-

do what you're doing but I'd fire 2 shots between loading so you can practice transitioning.  Shoot some slugs at IPSC targets at 5, 10, 15, 25, 50 and 75 yards too.

(Edited by kellyn at 12:00 am on Jan. 8, 2002)

• 1 year later...

I quickly zeroed my rifle at 50 yrds. and all was fine.  I shot it at 200 yrds. days later and found that it was shooting ~6 inches to the left.  There is no substitute for zeroing your rifle at the distances you are going to shoot!

Impact10:

DARN RIGHT!!!! Always zero at the range you will shoot!! For iron sight rifles I us a 300yd zero, especially for the M1A!!! For scoped ARs it is similar to Benny's way and I try to use a 250yd zero but that just happens to be the center of my Trijicon doghnut! NOW that that is done, NEVER SHOOT OFF THE BENCH AGAIN!!!!(unless to reconfirm zero befor a big match). Shoot from any wierd possition you can think of, do braced off hand and braced kneeling and all the classic non supported positions as well. Keep a little note book on where your rifle/carbine will hit. I.E. with the rifle on its side, like an extream roll over prone, where do you have to hold to get center hits on the target. except for zeroing slugs do the same with your shotgun, wierd possitions and loading from wierd possitions too. Prone kneeling,, in a culvert, under and around a car ect. BUT IF YOU DON'T HAVE GROUNDING IN THE BASICS, START WITH POSSITION SHOOTING!!! and find some one to help with those possitions like a HI Power guy or Marine!     KURT

I treat the "zero" thing a little different. I have both a dot and scope on my rifle. I sight both in for 100 yards. But I know my dope on my scope. I use the scope past 100, and set my dope for that particular range. I can't agree with Kurt more on the positions. I shoot every position but prone. In, over, around, under, sprinting, backwards, forwards, you name it I'll do it. You can't beat that type of shooting.