Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Malfunctions with AAA .40 in Glock 35

beltjones

I was shooting AAA .40 remanufactured ammo at Area 4 last week, and had three pretty bad malfunctions that I think may have cost me the match in L10. I thought I had diagnosed the problem to be me not seating magazines properly, but after today's range session I'm not so sure.

I brought along 150 rounds of AAA .40 leftover from the match (all chamber checked - just like the match ammo), 200 rounds of Remington UMC 180gr, and 200 rounds of WWB 165gr. I had three (3) malfunctions with the AAA, and the UMC and WWB ran fine.

The malfunctions were all exactly the same today as they were last week: The rounds get hung up going into the chamber, in what some people call a "three point malfunction" where the tip of the bullet is touching the top of the chamber, the casing is touching the top of the ramp, and the rim is touching the bottom of the breachface.

The main difference I can see is that the AAA ammo is much less round at the tip than the other rounds.

Other info: I have a diligent cleaning process, and I completely de-gunked my extractor before and after Area 4. The recoil spring is a 15 lb ISMI.

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else? I'm a little nervous considering I have 500 rounds of the same ammo waiting for me in Las Vegas...

Yes. Through the end of 2010 and into 2011 my G35 wasdoing exactly that. It was a stock barrel, and would hang up no matter if it was factory ammo, or my reloads. At the time I was using Winchester 180 FMJ truncated cone bullets, loaded to 1.120 to 1.122. I tried changing springs, in the gun, in the mags, wiht Dawson extensions, with stock basepads and any combination thereof. Then a friend gave me some Precision 185 grain, moly coated bullets. They have a round nose type contoyr with the tip flat. I also began loading them out to 1.135. The work fine now and I use an ISMI stainless guide with a 15# ISMI spring. I still haven't figured out exactly why the psitol doen't want to run wth factory ammo.

This probably isn't the issue, but one thing you'll see with reloaded ammo is an extractor mark on the case. Some are worse than others. Seems to me, if your gun didn't like the TC bullets, it wouldn't feed any of them. Maybe those few had a deep gouge in the case?

The bullet profile you're using in the AAA ammo is called a truncated cone (TC) because that's what the shape is like: take a cone and cut the top off it. (In this case it would be a jacketed truncated cone - JTC.) This bullet profile is notorious for causing exactly the malfunction you've described.

While a lot of people think a cartridge, ideally, "feeds smoothly into the chamber" that's not what actually happens. What actually happens is that as the cartridge leaves the magazine, first the underside of the bullet hits the feed ramp and bounces up off that. then as the cartridge enters the chamber the top of the bullet hits the top of the chamber and bounces down, straightening it out enough that it can slide all the way into the chamber and the action can close around it. What happens with a TC bullet is that when the top of the bullet hits the top of the chamber, flat surface meets flat surface, and instead of bouncing off to complete chambering, it just stops. At that point you wind up with what we call a "45 degree nose up stoppage."

The solution is to go to bullets with a more rounded, feed reliable ogive. TC bullets in an auto pistol are just malfunctions waiting to happen.

The bullet profile you're using in the AAA ammo is called a truncated cone (TC) because that's what the shape is like: take a cone and cut the top off it. (In this case it would be a jacketed truncated cone - JTC.) This bullet profile is notorious for causing exactly the malfunction you've described.

While a lot of people think a cartridge, ideally, "feeds smoothly into the chamber" that's not what actually happens. What actually happens is that as the cartridge leaves the magazine, first the underside of the bullet hits the feed ramp and bounces up off that. then as the cartridge enters the chamber the top of the bullet hits the top of the chamber and bounces down, straightening it out enough that it can slide all the way into the chamber and the action can close around it. What happens with a TC bullet is that when the top of the bullet hits the top of the chamber, flat surface meets flat surface, and instead of bouncing off to complete chambering, it just stops. At that point you wind up with what we call a "45 degree nose up stoppage."

The solution is to go to bullets with a more rounded, feed reliable ogive. TC bullets in an auto pistol are just malfunctions waiting to happen.

That makes perfect sense. Man I love this place!

Except that I've shot thousands (10K or so) of those JTC's through my S_I guns without issues.... Both STI and SVI alike......

This is not a no-exceptions rule. There are some guns that will feed TCs just fine. But if the OP's gun is having that particular malfunction with that particular bullet profile, obviously his gun is not one of them.

Dumb question: Do you have problems running the ammo with stock springs for the gun, or do you have the same malfunctions with the stock heavier spring and the lighter ones? Something to look at....

DougC

During the match I thought that might be the case, and after I trashed a stage for the second time due to a malfunction I swapped in a stock recoil spring. I thought the problem was fixed until I had another malfunction on the first stage the following day. It seems to happen regardless of springs, magazines, and everything else I can think of. The only variable that seems to be consistent is the ammo.

This was the only part I was referring to...

Duane is exactly right. I have owned 6 .40 Glocks. Two would eat anything you fed it, and the other four were picky as a rich girl. I have owned a bunch of Glocks in other calibers also, and the forties are the only ones that seem to have the 45 degree failure to feed. My G24 feeds the 185 Precisions at whatever COAL I decide to use, but the jacketed TC's will FTF at the worst possible moments.

But .40 was designed for TC bullets, so for better or worse, that's what is mostly available out there.

Well, I wouldn't say it was "designed for TC bullets," that's overstating a bit, but yes, if memory serves, the initial loads for ,40 S&W did, and many loads even today do, feature TC profile bullets. That was a bad decision back then, and the fact that most .40 bullets have a TC profile today is a bad thing, too.

I have shot appr. 6000 rds through glock 35 gen 4 and 1500 through glock 23 gen 4. 90% of these were Montana Gold 165 TC. I load to 1.130 length and 140 Power Factor. If I drop any lower on the PF I get a short cycle that ejects the fired case and leaves the next round jammed at the top or sticking straight up in the ejection port. It appears that the slide comes back just enough to eject the fired case, but does not quite get behind the case and kind of rakes it out of the magazine leaving it jammed up.