Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag sitting to high in gun ?

rupture

I'm having trouble with full mags fitting in my pistol (sti 9 major) seems they sit to high in the gun.Besides getting new mags is there anything I can remove material from to make them hang lower. I think this is causing my FTF until the mag is downloaded.

See if you have the same problem if you load one round less than full capacity. If that fixes the problem then it means the full mag doesn't leave enough room for the top round to partially depress when inserted into your pistol with the slide closed. There are some cures for this like a differend basepad that allows extra space or a different spring that takes up less room. Or you can just load one round less and let 'er rip.

Thats the problem I have to download 5 rounds to get it to feed

then it certainly isn't because the mag is sitting too high. tell us again what the feeding problem is. you mentioned in another post something about nosedives. is that the problem? the rounds nosedive, hit the feed ramp and stop there? anything else? what ammo (bullet shape) are you using?

How bout some pics?

Are the followers grams, Bolen, STI, SVI, Dawson?

Grams follower, happens with every mag. the only mag that ran was an sv big stick. I only got to run it once so I don't know if it "really" worked. Yes it does nosedive. Take five out of any mag it feeds fine. It just seems when the pressure of a full mag is taken off it will feed.

How bout some pics?

Are the followers grams, Bolen, STI, SVI, Dawson?

Grams follower, happens with every mag. the only mag that ran was an sv big stick. I only got to run it once so I don't know if it "really" worked. Yes it does nosedive. Take five out of any mag it feeds fine. It just seems when the pressure of a full mag is taken off it will feed.

Do you ever come up and shoot with the Middle Tennessee Shooters Club in Manchester TN (about an hour or so from you)? We will be shooting next Sunday at 12:30 and I have a 9mm STI and tuned 120mm mags we could try in your pistol to see if we could troubleshoot the problem a little. I also have range access any time so if you would rather come up this weekend I could try to help out. We have a local guy who is a wizard with these kinds of problems and he would probably be willing to help as well.

Doug,

I thought of something else to check. How is the underside of your ejector profiled? I have run into problems before with one that is not relieved sufficiently on the underside interfering with the top round in the mag. It can make the mag hard to seat and can cause nose dives.

To check for this take your slide off and insert a full mag. See if the underside of the ejector is pushing on the top round in the mag.