Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited or Tactical

XDman

Ok, these may sound like stupid questions but I have confused myself with the USPSA rules so need your advice.

What is the difference between Limited and Tactical besides the optics issue? Looks to me that non magnified are acceptable to Limited (like my Eotech) while Tactrical can have a magnified optic. Correct?

Also both divisions allow comps but both dont allow ports. So a JP Tactical Comp is not legal as it has exposed ports? Or am I missing the point here? :blink:

Thinking of starting a new AR for 3gun and am also interested in a basic platform to then modify as I hopefully shoot better and move to other divisions. Have been thinking of getting the DPMS 3G1.

If you were a new shooter to 3G, which division would you start in?

Thanks alot! :cheers:

No difference in Limited and Tactical divisions except for sights. Your Eotech is good to go in Limited. JP Tactical Comp is allowed in Tactical and Limited. I would use the Eotech with a good starter AR, the DPMS 3G1 should work fine. Shoot it for a year in Limited and you will learn a lot.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

Here's where its gonna get a little more confusing. USPSA doesn't have 3 gun. They have Multigun. Sounds like a petty difference but it's not. Most of the big 3 gun matches are NOT USPSA. Tactical scope (or just tactical at a lot of matches) allows you to have a magnified or unmagnified optic on a gun. Limited (or tactical irons or just irons) used to be iron sight only but this past year has seen many of the matches allowing non magnified optics. On a local level you may see other divisions. One I shoot has a separate red dot division.

As far as the ports and comp thing goes, it's pretty much the same across the board. Rifle comps 1" x3" (opens division, you can have a bigger one). The no ports things is for shotguns and pistols.

Choosing a division between limited and tactical as a new shooter depends a lot on what matches you plan to shoot. If you only have local matches in your sights and those local matches are at a club that doesn't shoot out past say 200 yards good old iron sights or a XPS2-1 or a Leupold Prismatic is the way to go.

If you plan to jump into the big matches or if your club shoots out past 200 yards I would recommend as nice of a 1-4x scope as your budget will allow.

Our local club has grown over the past 2 years from 10-15 shooters per match to 30-45 shooters per match. We shoot out to 300 every match and use targets and stages just like the big matches. I have watched a bunch of new guys shoot 1-2 matches with an off the shelf 16" rifle without optics or a compensator and get very frustrated at performing poorly in the long range shooting. After 2-3 matches of not having fun they start asking questions about rifles and optics. Then they show up at the next match with a 1-4x scope, a comp, and sometimes even a lightened bolt carrier, adjustable gas system and low mass buffer. All of a suddenly their next match is much more fun because they don't time out on the long stuff and they shoot all the fast stuff even faster.

As far as the starter rifle is concerned the best off the shelf rifle currently is the DPMS 3G1.

My sponsor, Stag Arms is coming out with this bad boy in October with an MSRP of $14XX. I am currently shooting this rifle with a few small additions like a low mass bolt carrier and have finished 12th at Rocky Mountain and 8th at the ProAm. So it truly is ready to go out of the box.

3a339ff8.jpg

Colt also has a very nice 3 Gun rifle coming out later this year.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Jesse,

Is that an 18 or 20 in barrel?

For a couple hundred more, that Stag may be the way to go.

It comes with a 18" SS fluted HBAR, Samson Evolution 15" handguard, giesselle super 3 gun trigger, Magpul stock and grip, Stag Super 3 gun comp.

Model 3G (right-handed): MSRP $1459 without sights, $1659 with Dueck Defense RTS

Model 3GL (left-handed): MSRP $1479 without sights, $1679 with Dueck Defense RTS

Jesse,

What are sights on the new Stag?

Thx,

Jeff

As a limited shooter, I'll tell you that the participation in the division is very limited since it can be a very difficult division to shoot. If you decide to do it, make sure your zero is solid and you understand your ballistics. Also, be paitent - it can take some time to get as good as you want to be in long range 1x. Like Jesse said, I've seen a number of people show up with 1x and tank a long range stage (and I finally tanked my first this year at OKC :lol: ) Give it a shot though!

Edited by DyNo!

As a limited shooter, I'll tell you that the participation in the division is very limited since it can be a very difficult division to shoot. If you decide to do it, make sure your zero is solid and you understand your ballistics. Also, be paitent - it can take some time to get as good as you want to be in long range 1x. Like Jesse said, I've seen a number of people show up with 1x and tank a long range stage (and I finally tanked my first this year at OKC :lol: ) Give it a shot though!

I agree with Mr. Thompson. It is tough. If you are shooting short range club matched where your longest rifle target is <200 yards, not a big deal. But all the major matches have some long steel. This takes some real-world preparation/practice to get your hits if you are shooting irons or a 1x optic. No BDC reticle to help you.

I personally think that is what makes it so fun. It gives me a warm feeling when I ring a 400 yard MGM with my irons rifle.

Jesse,

How is the balance of the Stag? I have heard the 3G1 is a little barrel heavy.

It feels fairly balanced to me. I always felt like my medium weight JP barrel with the fat .930 tip was barrel heavy. This rifle doesn't feel that way. It's tough to say as everyone "feel" for a rifle is different.

Choosing a division between limited and tactical as a new shooter depends a lot on what matches you plan to shoot. If you only have local matches in your sights and those local matches are at a club that doesn't shoot out past say 200 yards good old iron sights or a XPS2-1 or a Leupold Prismatic is the way to go.

If you plan to jump into the big matches or if your club shoots out past 200 yards I would recommend as nice of a 1-4x scope as your budget will allow.

Our local club has grown over the past 2 years from 10-15 shooters per match to 30-45 shooters per match. We shoot out to 300 every match and use targets and stages just like the big matches. I have watched a bunch of new guys shoot 1-2 matches with an off the shelf 16" rifle without optics or a compensator and get very frustrated at performing poorly in the long range shooting. After 2-3 matches of not having fun they start asking questions about rifles and optics. Then they show up at the next match with a 1-4x scope, a comp, and sometimes even a lightened bolt carrier, adjustable gas system and low mass buffer. All of a suddenly their next match is much more fun because they don't time out on the long stuff and they shoot all the fast stuff even faster.

As far as the starter rifle is concerned the best off the shelf rifle currently is the DPMS 3G1.

My sponsor, Stag Arms is coming out with this bad boy in October with an MSRP of $14XX. I am currently shooting this rifle with a few small additions like a low mass bolt carrier and have finished 12th at Rocky Mountain and 8th at the ProAm. So it truly is ready to go out of the box.

3a339ff8.jpg

Colt also has a very nice 3 Gun rifle coming out later this year.

That is a bunch of carbine for 14 bones. Well done Stag!

Jesse... you and Kalani make them look good.

Patrick

One more thing to think about(like you need it) is intermediate range at matches. I usually run irons very well at long range and close range. A red dot is fast for the 20-50yrd stuff. To far to point shoot and not far enough to worry about slowing down to be real precise. Two sight plains are just a little slower.