Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Round count

Test enough ammo to trust your numbers. If I'm working up a new load, I need at least two runs of 20 rounds that make power factor with a safe margin. This means that the slowest 7 rounds make power factor, and the run of 20 is at least 1.5 standard deviations above 165. If I'm checking a known load before a major, one run of 20 will do, assuming it checks out.

If I am just starting to work a load up I'll do 5 or 6 just to see approximately where I'm at. Once I get to my desired velocity I'll do 30 rounds. If my avg velocity - 3SD will give me PF above 167(major) or 127(minor) I am happy.

Edited by KyroWebs

If I am just starting to work a load up I'll do 5 or 6 just to see approximately where I'm at. Once I get to my desired velocity I'll do 30 rounds. If my avg velocity - 3SD will give me PF above 167(major) or 127(minor) I am happy.

Sounds like a good plan... B)

When developing rounds, I load of 10 of each to test functionality and hone in on my velocity target. For final testing I bracket the velocity target and load 30 rounds of each - 20 for the chrono and 10 to test accuracy before I go into production with my final selection.

• 6 months later...

sounds like a big waste of ammo to shoot 30 X multiple loads you are testing.

not saying its a bad thing to get you load 100%. but i dont play it that close making my load right on the 165 pf major minimum. I load to 170+ if it doesnt make 170 avg on 5 shots then you got to go back and try some more powder. dont be afraid to shoot ammo at 172-175pf.

not saying its a bad thing to get you load 100%. but i dont play it that close making my load right on the 165 pf major minimum. I load to 170+ if it doesnt make 170 avg on 5 shots then you got to go back and try some more powder. dont be afraid to shoot ammo at 172-175pf.

It makes perfect sense if:

1) You want to be completely relaxed in the chrono tent, and

2) You understand the potential of a combination of outliers, production variability, and Murphy's law.

BB

It makes perfect sense if:

1) You want to be completely relaxed in the chrono tent, and

2) You understand the potential of a combination of outliers, production variability, and Murphy's law.

BB

I suspect that being relaxed in the chrono tent has more to do with faith than with statistics and probability. I'd rather test 5-10 rounds each at 3-4 different chrono sessions than 30 all at once, but that's how my faith works. USPSA chrono procedures are pretty forgiving. ymmv.

Edited by motosapiens