Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 30 & Bayou Bullets

FLSlim

I've been extremely happy with Bayou Bullets' 200 gr. LRN out of my 1911s. So much that I thought I'd give them a try in my Glock 30. It was not a good decision. Problems from the start with feeding, extraction, and so on. Generally Glocks don't get along with SWC design bullets, and I started to think that perhaps the LRN design was too much like the SWC to function though my Glock. There is a definite "shoulder" where the bearing surface transitions to the round nose (ogive). At the shoulder, the bullet diameter steps down from .452 to .405. Does anyone out in BE forum land, have any experience with BB in Glocks or thoughts on what might be going on? FWIW, the loads were fairly light 5.1 gr of 231 with an OAL of 2.244.

Obviously, the easy thing for me is just not to use this design of bullet in the Glock, but just curious about your thoughts on the possible issue here. Yes, I am up on the lead vs. Glocks debate, so we don't need to go there... B)

Thanks FS10mm. Actually with the design of the bullet in question, if I load any shorter, I will be off the "step-down" at the shoulder where the diameter goes from .452 to .405 (literally, I have 0.001 to play with at this point). I had one suggestion that the design may not be the problem, but that the load may be too light for the G30. Since you are a SERIOUS reloader, do you think that is a possibility?

• 1 month later...

My G30 will not feed the Bayou (or Billy) bullets with perfect reliability. I get a FTF about once or twice every magazine.

I have a fullsize G21 that has never had a problem with either of the above mentioned bullets, near 100% reliability, if not 100%.

After shooting the Plate Rack Stage at a recent GSSF event, the RO remarked he had never seen a Glock feed SWC bullets that good.

It is funny to me the G30 and G21 feed the bullets differently, I can't explain it except the barrel angle might be different or it may just be my individual guns.

My G30 will not feed the Bayou (or Billy) bullets with perfect reliability. I get a FTF about once or twice every magazine.

I have a fullsize G21 that has never had a problem with either of the above mentioned bullets, near 100% reliability, if not 100%.

After shooting the Plate Rack Stage at a recent GSSF event, the RO remarked he had never seen a Glock feed SWC bullets that good.

It is funny to me the G30 and G21 feed the bullets differently, I can't explain it except the barrel angle might be different or it may just be my individual guns.

I got rid of a 30 because it choked on swc. I thought there was something wrong with it. I have always missed that gun. It was the only one I ever won money at an event (GSSF) with.

I have had no luck with any 200 grain bullet with the Glock 30. Jacketed, moly, cast all don't reliably cycle the 30. I think the double recoil spring setup makes the 30 touchy with the lighter loads, I have no problems keeping the 30 running with 230 grain bullets. I would love to shoot the 200s in mine if someone has figured that out.

I got rid of a 30 because it choked on swc. I thought there was something wrong with it. I have always missed that gun. It was the only one I ever won money at an event (GSSF) with.

I have both a 21 and a 30. My 21 will feed any type of bullet I put in it. The 30 absolutely hates any type of SWC bullet. The big difference that I noticed between the 21 and 30 (besides the obvious ones) are the rear frame rails. The rear rails on the 30 are set significantly deeper in the frame than the 21. I believe this small difference is what causes the SWC's ledge to hang up on the front of the magazine / FTF.

21 on the left, 30 on the right

20110501172244.jpg

20110501172220.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot the Bayou 200gr in my G21. I get an occasional FTF with a 13 lb recoil spring, but if I put the factory spring in, they feed every time. Also, if I bump the load up a couple tenths, they feed ok with the 13 lb spring. I seat the bullet so you can just see the green ridge above the case and that seems to help as well.

I played around with this a bit and found that a little more powder made a lot of difference in the reliable function of my G30. While 5.1 gr of 231 ran fine in my 1911s but not the Glock, if I upped the load to the mid-5 range the 200 BB round nose seemed to function okay in the Glock (this is just based on about 30 rounds, but it is encouraging).

Thanks all for your comments!

• 2 years later...

I know...this is an OLD thread, but I just wanted to add that Precision 200gr RNFP loaded to about 1.200" have fed for me without any trouble in my 21SF, 30SF, and 30S. I've mostly used them in practice, but recently shot the 21SF (Heavy Metal) and 30SF (MajorSub) in a GSSF match using them without issue. I load them just barely shy of major PF (about 160 from the 21...it's closer to 150 from the shorter barreled guns).

I suspect these feed without issue because their shape is basically the same as a 230gr RNFP, just with a shorter (less bearing surface) bullet.

I may try them for bowling pin shooting next.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why it won't let me edit my last post, but I just realized I said I'd shot Precisions in the 21SF and 30SF in a recent GSSF match. It wasn't the 30SF, but the 30S. I've barely shot the 30SF since I got the 30S.

• 1 month later...

If anyone's tried Blue Bullets or SNS Casting's 200gr RNFP for .45acp, I'm curious how you load them. They both appear to have a crimp groove, which really isn't needed for ACP (are these actually intended for .45LC?). Do you set the OAL so the crimp groove is at the case mouth, or load them longer or shorter?

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone's tried Blue Bullets or SNS Casting's 200gr RNFP for .45acp, I'm curious how you load them. They both appear to have a crimp groove, which really isn't needed for ACP (are these actually intended for .45LC?). Do you set the OAL so the crimp groove is at the case mouth, or load them longer or shorter?

The groove is a grease groove from the cast lead mold. No crimp groove, load to proper OAL based on bullet profile & chamber. Reload/prep case as you would lead. Use lead data and start from manufacturer/manual minimum weight up. Edited by SPDGG

The groove is a grease groove from the cast lead mold. No crimp groove, load to proper OAL based on bullet profile & chamber. Reload/prep case as you would lead. Use lead data and start from manufacturer/manual minimum weight up.

The lower groove is a lube groove. They both have a higher groove that looks to me more like a crimp groove than a lube groove. Are you saying they have 2 lube grooves?

The bullets I'm talking about are these:

http://www.thebluebullets.com/product-p/250-200-45.htm

http://www.snscasting.com/45-acp-200-grain-round-nose-flat-point-coated-1000ct/