Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting gunk out of checkering

mcoliver

What's a good way to get rid of those several years worth of embedded gunk/dirt/skin/blood on a checkered front strap/ms housing?

Tooth brush and alcohol only did half the job. I don't want to go too aggressive with a harder bristled brush for fear of stripping off the finish or scratching the metal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Try toothbrush and...toothpaste!

No...seriously...no jokes here.

Try it and tell me.

(BTW, learned this when a goldsmith was telling my wife how to have the engagement diamond ring shiny as new).

Do you use acetone?

It does a very good job of dissolving most stuff. Just let the parts soak for a while. Wear gloves. Inhaling the fumes will get you labeled as an inhalent abuser. Hence a well ventilated area is a priority.

Hydrogen Peroxide will do a great job on blood.

I believe tooth paste is a very fine abrasive. The same with baking soda, some dentist will "sand blast" teeth with baking soda to clean them.

Metal dental picks my be harder than the steel in your parts so it can scratch them. There are hard plastic dental picks for crowns.

WD-40 followed by a toothbrush. Make sure to then get the WD-40 off with some Simplegreen then re oil with your gun oil very lightly and wipe off.

WD-40 followed by a toothbrush. Make sure to then get the WD-40 off with some Simplegreen then re oil with your gun oil very lightly and wipe off.

Simple Green straight, followed by a nylon AR15 brush, has gotten everything out of my checkering that my hand has put there. If there's something on the checkering that SG won't get off, then I can only hope my hand wasn't holding the gun when it got that gunked up.

Thanks for the tips guys.  I'll probably try the toothpaste first since it's what I have on hand. ;)

Just don't brush your teeth with the toothbrush you use to clean the gun....

Well,

it all depends on what kind of dental filling mcoliver has (if any)... :P