Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going to My First Regional Match

StevieD

Although I've been shooting IDPA for about 12 - 13 years, I've never been to a "big" match. So I signed up for the Tri-State Regional in September and I'm wondering, just what happens at a regional match?

Locally we don't chrono bullets, check mags, weigh and size guns, etc. It's pretty laid back and we all have fun.

What exactly can I expect at a match the size of the Tri-State and is there anything that's a very common error for newbies that I should be aware of? Any additional "big match" advice would also be appreciated.

The Tri-State is a well run match with challenging courses of fire. They do open squadding, shotgun start so it tends to balance out pretty good. I don't recall equipment checks or chrono but you never know so have your gear in order.

For your first big match don't let it overwhelm you, shoot at your own skill level - speed, have a solid mentally rehearsed plan for each stage when its your turn to shoot.

Oh and have fun!

Great advice from Greg. I would also say to try to go with no expectations. Different clubs usually have different styles with regard to stage design, etc. So you will probably see things in the COF you've never seen before. Some clubs are also more relaxed on some aspects of the rules, especially during a "club" match, not so at a major. Make sure you're familiar with your rulebook. Most of all, enjoy it and have fun. Tri-State is a great match.

Stevie,

I'm one of the locals who helps Larry, our phenomenal Area Coordinator and Match Director, set this thing up. I will actually be shooting with the rest of the public this year instead of running one of the stages, but let's just say that I'm somewhat familiar with the Tri-State match.

Two years ago, we chrono'd everyone. Last year, we did not. I'm not going to say whether we'll be doing it again this year or not. My advice? After shooting 12-13 years, you know quite well if your equipment complies with the rules or not. Bring legal ammo, gun, and gear... and don't worry about it at all. We're not "out to get" the shooters who pay to come have a good time, and travel several states to do so. We simply don't want anyone cheating, and ruining your day.

The most common error for newbies is nerves. Shoot the match just like you've been shooting locally for the past decade, and don't forget about that bump on the front of the slide. Given Larry's reputation for no-shoot and hardcover littered stages, I highly suggest you work on primarily your accuracy if you choose to practice before coming to play.

Just relax, and come enjoy your first major match. You picked a good one.

Evan

Edited by MemphisMechanic

To add to Evan's post, the other problem I see new and experienced shooters alike have at bigger matches is not being used to that much shooting in a day. Make sure you're well rested and hydrated and make sure to keep drinking water all day. Have a few snacks in your bag to keep your energy up. A 10+ stage major is a lot more fatiguing that a typical 4-6 stage club match.

Actually, to respond to jar's post... hydration is an issue and be sure to bring a cooler. But down here in the South, lack of food isn't the usual problem I see.

Shooter rolls through stages til about 11:30, warming up and finding his groove. Then everyone breaks for lunch, and Mr. Shooter consumes a massive plate of BBQ, a couple of cookies, two Cokes, a pile of coleslaw, and a bag of chips.

Then Mr. Shooter lumbers back to the range looking like a bear shot with a sedative dart, and tanks two stages before he returns to full speed.

I hate stopping for lunch and will avoid it if I can. If I can't, I try to watch what I eat. As a skinny guy who eats like a horse, this is less of an issue for me than for others. But don't sedate yourself mid-match. ;)

• 3 weeks later...