Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cerakote?

Mike Singer

What is the deal with Cerakote?

I'm looking at a glock 17 and it has been Cerakoted. I'm not at all familiar with this stuff. Why would someone coat a glock with it? What is the purpose and how well does it accomplish that purpose? WHat does it do to durabliity, reliability, and accuracy?

Not a sales guy for Cerakote but I do have a bit of familiarity with it. From what I understand it's a ceramic based finish with high wear resistance and corrosion protection. I've got some stuff done in Cerakote, an SBR AR and I just got a bunch of small parts refinished by Springer Precision. They just came in this week so I haven't had a chance to beat them up too bad but they look really good. There are a couple different versions of Cerakote as well, Air Cure and Oven Cure. The air cure is softer, but can be applied to anything, and comes in a bunch of colors. The Oven Cure is a bit more limited in colors and application but it seems to be a pretty darn good finish. Better than a lot of the other spray on polymer finishes by a long shot. None of these finishes are going to be as hard as Hard Chrome or Ion Bond but you also have the option of getting it done in some pretty cool colors. I'm sure I'll be sending Scott a lot more parts and guns this winter.

Cerakote is a very good coating which is applied in very thin layers. The oven cured is very durable as compated to many of the 'gunkotes' out there. The surface has good lubricity and holds lube well.

Why a Glock? perhaps to cover holster wear. The tenifer process is very good but the coat they use does wear off. Or perhaps the owner wanted to change the color.

I had my 1911 done in it a few months ago. I shoot about 4-600 rounds a week depending on what I'm doing and the only real signs of wear are the 4 points on the front of the slide where its tri-topped. Its good stuff. Like Chuck said its not hard chrome but for a spray on finish I'm more than happy! :cheers:

For anything that won't be in a kydex holster it is nice. Kydex will wreck it pretty quick though. I had my 1911 done in it and it looks nice but showed wear around the front end of the slide after one or two practice sessions.

I have it sent off for a nitro-bond coating now and that stuff doesn't wear at all. It is the stuff they coat cutting tools with.