Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets in flight

DonovanM

What was the shutter speed?

I'm not too sure, it's a frame taken from a video taken using my Flip MinoHD camera. Cameraman was fidgety ;)

Hm... could be a glint off the bullet or a muzzle spark then. At video-camera frame rates a full-on bullet will look like a long, dim, streak, but won't be nearly as cool.

you're right! it could be a spark.

I wish I had one of those Phantom HD cameras. The things i could do with super slow mo!

I've posted a few here.

BIF photos

It's fairly easy to do, easiest with your camera at exact right angles to the bullet flight path. Needs a 1/8000 shutter, and even then the projectile is "stretched" by about 2 1/2 lengths. I'll find some more later. Have yet to get a .223 :(

Nice pics! A fast shutter and a good burst mode, right?.

I've posted a few here.

BIF photos

It's fairly easy to do, easiest with your camera at exact right angles to the bullet flight path. Needs a 1/8000 shutter, and even then the projectile is "stretched" by about 2 1/2 lengths. I'll find some more later. Have yet to get a .223 :(

Nice pics! A fast shutter and a good burst mode, right?.

Yep -- 1D4, get about 1 BIF in a thousand frames, so some busy weekends I get maybe 20...

The following picture is from a 1080 HD video, extracting the frame that shows the bullet in flight (not that hard to catch, if I just keep recording for several shots).

6182776096_96be0ca5cf_b.jpg

I wish I had one of those Phantom HD cameras. The things i could do with super slow mo!

Those are very expensive.FYI, For the consumer market, Casio has a high-speed mode in their EXILIM like that can do slow-motion around 120 or 240 frames per second but resolution is severely lowered as speed increases.

Edited by SlowShooter

The following picture is from a 1080 HD video, extracting the frame that shows the bullet in flight (not that hard to catch, if I just keep recording for several shots).

6182776096_96be0ca5cf_b.jpg

Those are very expensive.FYI, For the consumer market, Casio has a high-speed mode in their EXILIM like that can do slow-motion around 120 or 240 frames per second but resolution is severely lowered as speed increases.

Pretty cool. The bullet's actually that whole streaky-thing in the video, with reflections highlighted.

Video actually isn't as good for bullets-in-flight as stills-- On the Casios, run 60 fps stills with a fast shutter; even shooting 1000 frames-a-second video, the bullet (depending on velocity) moves almost a foot per frame. You can see them fly if you're at a good angle to the shooter, but side-on, they just zip on by.

Compare this clip, filmed from right next to the shooter

to this one, from a side-view:

At 1000 fps yes the bullet moves approx 1 foot per frame, but…

The video-camera's shutter is not necessarily open for that entire 1/1000th of a second, is it? The shutter time is often less than the inter-frame time, depending on lighting conditions and the design of the camera, is it?

At 1000 fps yes the bullet moves approx 1 foot per frame, but…

The video-camera's shutter is not necessarily open for that entire 1/1000th of a second, is it? The shutter time is often less than the inter-frame time, depending on lighting conditions and the design of the camera, is it?

The 'shutter speed' of a video camera is how long the image sensor is allowed to gather light before it's read and reset, so yeah it may not be open the entire frame, but if you use too fast a shutter speed the video can look choppy due to the long inter-frame time, so the cheap camcorders mostly don't bother with high shutter speeds (the better ones can go faster if set correctly). With the EX-F1, really high shutter speeds like 1/16000 need tremendous amounts of light to get anything visible on-screen.

The usual limitation on the high-speed cameras is how much they can pull off the sensor how fast. The Casios for example, down-res so much because they've only got so much bandwidth between the sensor and memory. The super-big-$$ ones like on Top Shot have much faster memory stores and can keep the whole image.

• 3 months later...