Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Piston driven AR help

1911vm

Decided that I want a piston Ar. used the search function cannot find answer to my questions.

First. Option is to by a kit and convert what I have. From the research that I have done it seems that my top two chose’s are : http://www.gaspiston.com/ (OPS 416) and http://www.adamsarms.net/products.asp?category=100000 Am I correct?

And my second choice is to get a complete upper from ether one.

I am sure there are other choices that I am not thinking of so please give me suggestions thanks to all in advance.

PS

It is more the likely going to be on a 16in gun that I am considering to SBR at a later time.

LWRC for full rifles/uppers... Little on the pricey end, good quality...

Pricey? I just looked and almost past out LOL. One R.E.P.R.upper = JP rifle and 2k rounds of .223 is it really that good?

I built an upper using the adams arms kit specifically to be used with a can... It seems to work well (no jams or issues)it does reduce the crud build up in the reciever for what that's worth. I still prefer the feel of a normal ar though.

I did some testing it with drop in kits not that long ago. My findings were enough for me to keep my Game gun gas impingement. This says allot because I love piston AR's. I noticed a large change in POI when I put the kit on. At 200yds it Went from just little low and to the left with consistent groups under 2" to way low and to the right with groups in the 6" range. It really changed the harmonics, and I was rather bummed with my findings, as that meant more expensive ammo for practice and more time spent cleaning. Testing at 100 showed the same results the POI was much further off and the groups were about 3x the size.

Tests were done with federal GMM and a DPMS mk12 barrel turned down to .625 across the board. The drop in kit that was used applies no additional force at rest to the barrel like the kits with extra springs do. The extra force applied by the springs in some kits make it worse yet.

These are just my findings YMMV.

I have used the Adams kit on a 20" DPMS HBAR and a 18" Sabre mid-weight. Both rifles showed no difference in group size after installing the kit. (I am not a bench rest shooter and don't enjoy shooting for tiny groups. About an inch is good enough for me and these barrels do it w/ or w/out the AA kit.) There was a POI shift, but I expect that after taking the rifles apart and putting them back together. The AA kit runs considerably cleaner than a DI gun and is very reliable. There is a difference in feel between a DI gun and a piston gun.

I also have a AA factory upper. The low profile gas block, pinned to the barrel, is a big aesthetic improvement over the clamp-on railed block. Fit and finish on the upper is great and it also shoots about 1 moa. I have not tried any of the other various piston kits available for the AR15, but I do not see any issues w/ the Adams system that I feel could be improved upon.

LWRC has one very large issue, and it is not with the quality but all the proprietary parts they use. They want you to send the gun in for replacement of any parts. They do not want to send you the parts. This may have changed recently but last I knew it was there policy. while I am glad they will fix anything at any time i really don't want to have to deal with shipping it out for some small issue.

Edited by bpipe95

I love my Adam's Arms kit. Won it at Fort Benning several years ago. Put it on a Bravo Company mid length upper, and have been very pleased with it! The recoil impulse is a bit different, but not in a bad way. Very easy to clean...

You might want to look in to a LMT

I picked up a LMT CQB MRP Defender Piston 16 5.56 about a 1.5 year ago from Clyde Armory for $1795 and love the fact that it is easy to clean, you can clean the piston without removing the hand guard like a LWRC and the upper and hand guard is one piece so you can mount your scope without thinking alignment. Well that also makes the gun heavier than most 3 gun AR’s since you are not using a carbon hand guard and limits the barrel to LMT’s.

I don’t trim the case of my reloads and they feed very well with my LMT without any jams so far.

The gun shoots better than me so no complains

Good luck

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KAb9n9CbSUA/TlB_wT4AYTI/AAAAAAAAAXg/WFjS_W-Hkko/s640/LMT%252520Left.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CzSnbpWv1AE/TlB_vvePeYI/AAAAAAAAAXc/sOuAVL-WaZg/s640/LMT%252520Right.JPG