Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI legend .40 major

trap_dude

New to competition shooting, recently purchased the STI legend 5" chambered in .40 s&w. Wanting to know a good major PF load that has worked well for you. I shoot in a pin shoot regularly on tues and thurs and am starting to shoot this coming Tuesday in a weekly indoor ispc league/competition. I have been shooting winchester WB for the most part, but I have been wanting to load my own. I am already familiar with reloading but all I have loaded for is my .45acp carry gun. I like to reaload and enjoy tinkering with the loads but I just want to figure out a load quickly that has worked for others to make major in a 2011 with 5" barrel. Not trying to copy, just want a good starting reference point Would prefer the softest load that will easily make major, would like to use lead since it appears to be much cheaper but i am very unfamiliar with it. Please state bullet type, gr., powder used, primer, and oal that has worked well for your 2011. If you have OF data for your load that would be great as well. Or any tips to go along with lead loads would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Clay

Precision Moly 185gr RN 4.7gr WST Win SPP set 1.185 @ 171pf, clean and cheap, handed down to me by a Limited Legend. Now quit piddling around on the computer and start loading!

If you like reloading a piddlin around with loads snag some Bayou Bullets at http://www.bayoubullets.net you will spend less time washing your hands, cleaning your barrel, and peering thru the smoke to see that downed Pin. http://www.bayoubullets.net/products.html will get you to the pictures of the bullets.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, lead + indoor + major is not something I would do. Unless your range has some rocking ventilation, the smoke just makes it not worth it in my opinion. It's bad for you and it makes it hard to see your targets. Outdoors is a different matter. Indoors, moly coated, and minor PF you can make a nice load that isn't smoky enough to cause issues. I've had no luck doing that with major though.

Stay away from Lead. If you shoot jacketed bullets try 180gr with 4.2 grains of titegroup. I started out loading lead to save money then switched to jacketed. Do a search on You Tube for Bayou Bullets and see the difference between lead, jacketed and WWB. I justed ordered some and can't wait to try them out.