Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjusting Non Adjustable Sights

jeff89

If a gun is shooting low do you need to file the front or the rear sight down? My friend asked me to do it for her and I want to make sure I'm right before I mess up the gun!! Is there a better way to do it that I can't think of?

Thanks!

Jeff

Before you file anything, use a piece of tape on the front sight to see how much you have to take off. Some people just don't know how to aim and the sights might be fine and then you have to buy a new front sight if you file the thing off for the wrong reasons. Many people shoot low because they anticipate the recoil.

If both sights are fixed then file down the front sight if the gun is hitting low. Go easy and check often, a LITTLE goes a long ways! Usually it’s simpler to change loads. A heavier bullet will print higher… most of the time.

Good Luck,

Ed

see if you can find somebody with one of those laser bore-sight gizmos. i know a guy with one that kinda looks like an ink pen, aligns in the muzzle, and shoots a red dot. works real nice, easy to see if your sights are lined correctly, might even tell you something about how you shoot.......... sure told me! easy to see where the sights are lined, though. then get out the file......

see if you can find somebody with one of those laser bore-sight gizmos. i know a guy with one that kinda looks like an ink pen, aligns in the muzzle, and shoots a red dot. works real nice, easy to see if your sights are lined correctly, might even tell you something about how you shoot.......... sure told me! easy to see where the sights are lined, though. then get out the file......

I have one of those. The bore line (which is what the laser shows) will generally be below the sight line on most guns that are "sighted in" due to the recoil effect, ie the muzzle rises at discharge so the bullet leaves the barrel slightly up the muzzle's arc. Ergo, the "bullet exit" muzzle position of a firing gun is always higher than a gun dry firing with a laser.... so the laser will make it look like the bore is aimed too low. FWIW: lasers just get you in the ballpark, they can't accurately sight in a handgun.

I checked all of my guns with the laser. The autos generally sight in with the bore line within an inch or so below the sight line at 25 yards, but revolvers ALWAYS sight in with the bore line at least 3" below the sight line. This is because an auto's moving slide acts as a recoil absorber, but a revolver has no such effect. More muzzle rise on the revo means it sights in with the muzzle's resting position lower relative to the sight line.