Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

seeking M1A trigger advise

rvb

Hello,

Recently, after being on order for a LONG time, I received a brand-new Springfield MIA National Match model. This is my first M1A. Thinking is I may use it someday in heavy metal or dable in high-power. I've only put about 100 rounds through the gun. All prone/slung.

The trigger is REALLY bothering me.

Perhaps you can advise me if I should

a) suck it up and learn to shoot it.

B ) send it back to Springfield

c) do some minor tweaks myself.

The second stage is damn near impossible to find. dryfiring as if on a 3-gun course, I almost never feel it. Slow-fire I have to hunt for it. Probably 10% of the time the gun goes off and I never feel the second stage. It's easiest to "find" with my finger out on the tip of the trigger. On a trigger gauge I hit ~3.5lb on the first stage about half-way through the pull, then the weight really drops off, to only a couple pounds (like a bell curve), then the second stage breaks at under 4lb. It's really hard to get a weight on the second stage because using the gauge I often pull right through the second stage. It seems the first stage is too heavy and the geometry is not right.

If I pull through the 1st stage, then stop at the second, then release the trigger, it's like it's catching and doesn't want to return smoothly... feels like it's already starting to drop off the hammer hook; like maybe it needs to hit the sear earlier. with the hammer down, the trigger moves smoothly.

While shooting (again, only approx 100 rounds through it), I've twice had the hammer follow, and about 10 doubles, and a tripple. And about 10 times the gun surprised me because I never found the second stage. I know I need to pull through w/ this trigger more than other guns to keep from doubling, but to keep from doubling I'm mashing it, which is killing my groups. I've put 500-700 rounds in a single weekend slow fire through one of my ARs w/ a RRA 2-stage and never had a single double (maybe it's design gives it a better disconnect?).

I'm having a LOT of trouble shooting this gun, because my mind is 100% on making the trigger work. Best 100 yd group is about 3", 6" typical (Eastern block surplus). I know I can do better. This is really frustrating me.

Does this sound like somethings wrong, or is this just welcome to the world of M1As?

I've heard good things about Springfield's service, I'm tempted to send it in. I feel they should get it right for what they charge for these things.

I do a lot of my own gun plumbing, built a 1911, etc. I'm not afraid to get in there. But I am just a weekend hack. I have the Kuhnhausen manuals. Should I smooth out the first stage and add some engagement and weight on the 2nd?

Thanks SO much. I've been looking forward to having the rifle for a long time. I hate feeling frustrated when I leave the range.

Ryan

Edited by rvb

Sounds like you've lost your second stage. After taking up the slcak of the first stage, you should hit a wall and then there is a crisp break.

The fix, IIRC, is to put a piece of sand paper between the hammer hooks and sear.

or, you could call Springfield and send them the trigger group to fix...

Mick

Two things, either someone changed some angles when they were "smoothing it up", or the disconector is faulty and the little feet are worn off or just plain not there. If you got a Kunhausen you will know what I mean, these are the little tabs that stick out the front of the trigger/diconector assembly that the Hammer/Trigger spring guide rides on. either way it needs a new disco at the least and maybe both, but that is Gun Plumbing fornm a-far. KurtM

A big thank you for all the feedback. Kurt, that definitely sounds like a possibility from looking at the manuals. I was hoping you'd chime in here. Thanks!

I decided w/ all the other projects I've got going on to call Springfield. Lady on the phone couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. She wanted to talk to one of the rifle guys, or even have them call me, before she decided to have me send in the whole rifle or just the trigger group (I don't see a reason the whole rifle needs to go?).

I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Ryan

A co-worker had the hammer break on his M1A the weekend before the Rocky Mountain 3 Gun. Fortunately, Marty at Accuracy Speaks out at Rio Salado had GI parts to replace the cast OEM hammer, and the safety sear on the trigger was at a slight angle. I don't believe he's contacted Springfield yet. I thought my M1A was bought after his, but mine, a standard model, has GI parts in the trigger group. having had other co-workers deal with warranty issues, Springfield Armory is the best firearms manufacturer when it comes to honoring their warranty. They go well beyond the letter of their warranty, and treat their customers like they would like to be treated.

having had other co-workers deal with warranty issues, Springfield Armory is the best firearms manufacturer when it comes to honoring their warranty. They go well beyond the letter of their warranty, and treat their customers like they would like to be treated.

And coming from you, that says alot! :)

-rvb

Contacted Springfield on Friday. Nice lady on the phone wanted to discuss w/ the rifle techs before deciding to have me ship the whole rifle or the trigger group. She called me back on Monday w/ an RMA and pre-paid/pre-insured shipping info for the whole rifle. So far I'm impressed. :)

-rvb

• 4 months later...

An overdue update:

Springfield made this gun right. Back in August, I sent it in. They fixed it and turned it around in just a couple of weeks, postage paid by them both ways. I just today had time to shoot it. I'm in LOVE all over again. :wub: I put only about 30 rounds through it today. The trigger feels perfect, and no trouble with doubles. Shot several decent groups in the 1.5" range at 100 (prone/slung) w surplus Lithuanian ammo. Now I'm stoked to put some black hills through it and get some reloads developed.

Springfield says they just added weight to the trigger, so I'm guessing some sear engagement. But it had to have been just barely engaging before since the 2nd stage was often nonexistent.

Thank you, Springfield!

-rvb

Edited by rvb