Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI MAG PROBLEM

Karambit

Just received a new 140mm .45 mag.

PROBLEMS:

I can't load more than 10 rounds without using extreme force.

When I tried stripping off a few rounds the rounds started to nose dive.

After stripping off the nose dived round three rounds tumbled out

as the follower didn't move.

Any suggestions?

Edited to add:

I just loaded 6 rounds and I can see round 5 is nose diving. I stripped off round 6 and round 5 didn't move. Shaking the mag sounds like a baby rattle.

Edited by Karambit

Just received a new 140mm .45 mag.

PROBLEMS:

I can't load more than 10 rounds without using extreme force.

When I tried stripping off a few rounds the rounds started to nose dive.

After stripping off the nose dived round three rounds tumbled out

as the follower didn't move.

Any suggestions?

Edited to add:

I just loaded 6 rounds and I can see round 5 is nose diving. I stripped off round 6 and round 5 didn't move. Shaking the mag sounds like a baby rattle. Round 1 is stuck at the top most hole in the mag

Should hold 13 round IIRC. Have you taken the base plate off, removed the follower to see if there's a burr somewhere? Or maybe it's a Cal-legal mag with a dimple preventing more than 10 rounds?

My standard thing when I get a mag is to go through the steps outlined in the Dawson Mag tuning kit. Basically using some 400 grit sandpaper wrapped around a piece of aluminum to deburr the inside, deburr the feed lips, make sure the lips are right, check and make sure nothing looks weird with the spring and follower. Usually I put in a Grams Spring/follower and on a couple mags still use the stock floor plate.

Sometimes these things take tinkering.

~Mitch

Check your loaded round OAL. I had that same issue when I got my .45 ACP Eagle. I tried some ammo I had loaded for my Spartan and it would only let me load a handful of rounds before it stopped.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

Easy to tell the difference. The .45 mag will have shallow indent grooves on both sides of the mag body and the .40 will have shallow indents like the .45 Mag on the right side of the mag and deeper indentations on the left side of the mag. If the indented grooves on the sides of the mag body are the same then you have a .45 mag.

Neal in AZ